Time To Sell The Flex, Buy An EcoBoost Mustang

Seems the EcoBoost is coming to Mustangland. Will it usher in a modern SVO? Read on...

What has long been just a rumor has finally been confirmed as reality: Ford will soon offer the Mustang with an EcoBoost motor.

=93Given the success we=92ve had with EcoBoost across the lineup that we=92ve talked about, it=92s fair to assume that we will have an EcoBoost Mustang in the very near future,=94 said Derrick Kuzak, Ford =92s group vice president of Global Product Development.

Kuzak didn=92t specify just what EcoBoost Ford would offer in the Mustang, but it=92s likely to be a four-cylinder unit. The 2.0-liter direct-injected, turbocharged mill from the upcoming Focus ST is a likely candidate, as its 247 horsepower rating would allow it to slot nicely under the =91stang=92s 305 horsepower 3.7-liter V6.

However, given Ford=92s willingness in vehicles like the Fusion and the Edge to offer an Ecoboost four with similar power but better mileage than an existing engine, we=92d say it=92s also possible that Ford could offer an EcoBoosted 2.5-liter four with around 300 horsepower but more mpgs than the 3.7-liter.

For those feeling uneasy about the possibility of a four banger residing in the engine bay of the Mustang, recall that there is a precedent for a performance-oriented pony car with just four cylinders: the 1984-86 Mustang SVO made an impressive (for the time period) 205 horsepower and 245 lb-ft of torque from its turbocharged

2.3-liter inline-four.

Expect to the see the EcoBoost-equipped Mustang in a showroom near you in just a year or two.

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

Cool Ford is rolling out the EcoBoosts... although would love to see the 3.5 V6 EB in a Mustang, I don't see that happening... The other thing, while my Flex has responded amazingly to a tune, I'm wondering if they would encrypt the computer, like they do in the F-150 EB... currently there is no way of tuning a F-150 EB, due to the encryption... Be interesting to see where this goes...

Reply to
John S.