TLC special last night Shelby GT500 (who makes them?)

I caught the last 10 minutes of some car show on TLC. They were showing some custom shop making Shelby copies for 'Gone in 60 seconds'. One car was called Eleanor. They showed one being made for Jason Giambi also. Can someone post the name of the shop please? Thanks Mark

00 GT
Reply to
Mark

Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote

These are the Sanderson Sales cars that so many people have been bitching about. Me included.

Blessed since he's making a boatload of cash whoring himself to them to put his name on it. I know several REAL Shelby owners who are pissed that these cars will be included in the registry.

Not even close. Nothing compares to an ORIGINAL '67 Shelby GT500 with a 428, or a '68 GT500 KR convertible, or my friends '67 GT500 that he pulled the

428 and put a 427 SO with a 428 crank. This motor is making ~600 RWHP with his mods. That's what it's all about.

Why the hell would Ford do that? The car is still a '67/'68 fastback built when it was built with the options it came off the assembly line with. Nothing will change what it was from the factory, no matter how it's modified. If I could get Carroll to sign my glove box door on my '69 could I get the VIN changed to make it a Shelby? It's got a highly modified motor with suspension and driveline upgrades. Actually this car should be a Boss car since it has Boss stripes on it now. If Larry Shinoda was still alive maybe I could get it revinned as a Boss? NOT! Yeah, Ford want the FBI crawling up their asses like they did in '70 turning a few leftovers from '69 into '70's. Underneath all that fiberglass I bet some are 250cid I6 VIN's.

Sorry 'bout my angry response, but I hate these cars. It was cool when there was one, now there's several. Plus, I've only seen evidence that one has ever actually been sold. Overpriced Dreck IMHO.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I heard that the Barret Jackson action was a stunt to build up the price of the cars. not sure if its true, but sounds about right for tthose fugly things.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

i dunno. I like the fact they are out there.. but selling them as NEW shelby's with a new VIN.. eh that sucks. They are nothing more than a real nice clone. If I dropped a crate hemi, add a shaker hood my challenger does not automatically become a true, factory, hemi challenger. if they are advertised as, and thought of as and respected as clones. then fine. real collectors want the original.

Reply to
~Dave~

I generally agree with you. Personally I think Carroll has the right to promote whatever he wants. After all it is his name and not our. If it wasn't for him none of his cars would even exist. Especially after seeing the show last night. This car isn't a cheap knock-off. It is a seriously fast and well built car. IMO, as good, and in many cases better, than the original Shelby's. I let each car stand on its own merits and these new "Shelbys" are a credit to their heritage. If they can make money from selling them then more power to Unique. They will only sell for what someone is willing to pay for them.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I'm not bitching. I think they are building a VERY impressive automobile.

It's Shelby's name not ours and he has ever right to promote anything he wishes. Sounds like the original car owners like their little exclusive club and don't want anyone else to join. Shelby defined/created their cars and, IMO, he has ever right to define these as true Shelbys. Also, since when has making money become a bad thing? We all do it to one degree or another. How many of us would turn down a big pay day like he might be getting from these cars? I suspect there aren't many of us that would.

You need to see the show before making this claim. They do a complete restoration on each car. Power plant choices run up to an all aluminum

427 with a supercharger that puts out 700+ rwhp/rwtq. They have integrated roll cages with full chassis bracing, massive brakes, a bulletproof read end, fuel cells, top notch suspension components among many other high performance parts. One of these cars would stomp an original Shelby into the asphalt. You'll need to throw $75k-$100k at an original just to keep up.

I didn't catch the full story regarding the VIN's but Ford did something along the lines I referenced. I'm sure it's all legal.

These cars are a serious performer. After watching the show I have a very healthy respect for what they are doing. As for price they should sell for whatever the market will bare. I do have a lot of respect for they way they are building these cars. They definitely aren't cutting corners.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

That was a pretty neat show, even if I do prefer the Original GT500 (Their GT350SR is another story!). The reverse Eleanor (black w/silver stripe) was pretty nice, too. Jason Giambi's car was a "Super Snake" which is a supercharged 427 w/770 HP (according to the show) and has 3 stripes. They also showed a Eleanor dragster. A GT500E convertible would look pretty nice and give it a much different look.

Joe Boster

Reply to
Desert Lurker

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote

I did. It was the show "Rides" with Jason Priestly as voice-over.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Then you know an early model Shelby wouldn't stand a chance against one.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I dont know about the registry, if its true, that's a disgrace. In the show they stated that they only take 67 fastbacks but WILL NOT take a genuine Shelby and remake the thing over. The thought process must be that a true Shelby is a Shelby and will be restored as such but a stock 67 rust-bucket can be made into a new Shelby wannabe.

Reply to
John

Some of the cars (being generous) they were using looked to be piles of junk and would probably never be restored before they became comepletely worthless.

I don't see the big deal about calling them Shelbys since Carroll Shelby is involved in the process. He is the only one, IMO, that has the right to register them as Shelbys. Plus it's not like they are building a POS and calling it a Shelby.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

It just doesn't seem right still. Yeah he can do what he want, but I don't know why anyone would want to buy one at those prices. It's still a restomod, and not even original one. For that kind of money one can get the same big names to build a car that is totally unique, a one of a kind. Not some clone from some movie that a number of which were made.

Reply to
Brent P

The market will set the price and the builder will meet it or go out of business. Personally I would much rather have a Ford GT over one of these. The cars Unique builds have much more substance to them than the ones in the movie. In the show they discuss how Shelby made the scoops functional in the early Shelbys and cost cutting made them just for show over the next two years of production. To me these cars are more true to Carroll Shelby's original vision than many of the cars built in the late 60's.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

That is absolutely beautiful car. Too bad that they are out of my price range by quite a bit.

Reply to
Mark Jones

You may hate them, but I think they are great. A judge should be able to identify the vintage of these cars because of all of new technology they include. In my opinion, these do not detract from the originals at all.

Reply to
Mark Jones

I think they look ugly.I like the idea of upgrading a 67 FB to Eleanor standards,like the engine,suspension,brakes,and all the high performance parts they used,but the actual look of it from the outside is just ugly to me.I much prefer the way a nice restored 67 FB looks.But then thats just my opinion :-)

Andrew

Reply to
me