New 302 into a stock 67

My son's stock 289 is getting a bit tired in his 67..He wants to get a Ford Racing 302 (M-6007-XB3) and put in it..Has anyone done this? What else needs to be changed..he has a "strongly" rebuilt C-4 and a 9" rear end..will this bolt up to his current bell housing? Tony

Reply to
Tony Alcocer

Externally, they are the same. Pull the old one out, drop the new one in. Piece of pie, easy as cake.

Reply to
boB

Might want to ask about the flex plate as it maybe different in the new motor.

Doglips

Reply to
MrDoglips

The crate motor is probably the 50 oz imbalance while the 289 would be 28oz. You'll need to get a 50 oz balancer and flywheel that match your application is the included ones won't work.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

So it sounds like the things that need to be switched are. The timing chain cover and water pump, remove the new 50oz harmonic balancer and replace with the old 28oz one, check to see what flex plate the new motor comes with and replace if needed. I've heard the drive gear on the distributor needs to be replaced with a "steel one" anyone heard of this? I've also heard that he can use his current Edelbrock intake and carb and that his current headers will bolt up to the GT-40 heads. Last question...and use the original motor mounts? Thanks for the help. I just want to make sure we have things thought out and are not blind sided by anything weird.. Tony

Reply to
Tony Alcocer

Don't do that! The motor is internally balanced to either 28oz or

50oz. You have use the correct harmonic balancer and flexplate to match that internal balance. Otherwise, it will vibrate hard enough to eventually tear itself apart. Just use whatever comes with the motor.

Yoou have to change the timing cover if you want to use a mechanical fuel pump. Don't forget that you also need a concentric piece for the front of the cam to drive the pump. Otherwise, just use an electric pump.

I've heard the drive gear on

Late model engines come with a roller cam. That's part of the attraction. The roller cams are a differant material than flat tappet cams. So you have to match the cam gear to the new material. Otherwise, it can eat the driven gear in a short period of time. Most people like bronze gears, but steel is good, too. The factory original is cast iron. Swapping the gear is a pretty easy task for a machine shop. But I wouldn't try it at home. Or, I would just swap in a Mallory Unilite with the correct gear.

I've also heard that he can use his current Edelbrock intake

True.

Again, true.

Reply to
boB

You can't switch or mix 50 oz. & 28 oz. balancers & flywheels. The new engine is probably 50 oz. and will require a 50 oz. balancer, you'll need to buy the correct 50 oz. flywheel/flexplate also depending on the number of teeth the 289 flywheel has,157 or 164. Roller cammed engines require a steel distributor gear also, non roller cams use cast iron.

Reply to
winze