Torque Box reinforcement question

I was thinking of getting some Torque box reinforcements for my 88 Mustang GT, anyone have any advise on this? Do the reinforcements have to be welded? How difficult of a job is this?

Reply to
TheBigItaly50

Yes, don't think about it. Do it.

Do the reinforcements have to be welded?

No, but it would be dumb not to.

You have to remove the control arms to get them in. You also have to remove the rear seat and sound deadening material. I have them bolted into my '88 GT. I just haven't gotten around to getting them welded, yet.

Helmut Roner

1988 Beat Up Mustang GT
Reply to
HELMUT RONER

I didn't have to remove the lower control arms to install mine, just the nut. I got the lower off of ebay and they took about 2 hours to install once the rear seat was out. The upper torque boxes I just welded up as these are a lot less likely to come loose.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

What's a torque box?

Reply to
John

It is a collection of metal formed into a box like structure that ties the rockers to the frame rails and at the front ties into the cowl on a Mustang and similar unibody cars. It adds structural rigidity and opposes the torque of the drivetrain and suspension to stiffen the body. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet