Understanding exhaust systems: X and H

What is going on in these systems. Is there exhaust gases actually crossing over the other pipe? I see on my factory system there is a cross pipe joining the two L and R systems together. Is this for reinforcement or is it open to exhaust gases.

Thanks, John

Reply to
jriegle

the way I understand it is to reduce back pressure and equalize it. I think ....

Reply to
Luna

X pipes are just another gimmick to try to make poorly designed headers perform a little better. All of the commercially available headers for mustangs are junk basically, they are way far from equal length, they are too short and have this awful ball type flange on them that just kills any scavenging qualities to them. X pipes are an effort to enhance the scavenging effect...

2 cents worth...

Serge

Reply to
Serge

Hey there,

Actually, there are major differences - and no, X pipes arent just another gimmick to try to make poorly designed headers perform a little better. Serge, you certinly dont have much of an open mind about things do you - with a comment like "All of the commercially available headers for mustangs are junk basically". Certinaly header manufacturers (over the counter commercially available - like Hooker Super Comp's, BBK or Edelbrock) wouldnt agree with your comments. A TON of money gets poured into research and development to assure quailty products.

Back to the H versus X pipe controversy - there are plenty of research articles about this available on the Internet. Check these articles and you will see there is a difference:

Page

Reply to
Page Nicholson

Nice little stable full you have there Page!

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top

"Page Nicholson" wrote

*snip*

| Page & Peggy Nicholson | Trabuco Canyon, CA | 2002 Mustang GT | 1999 Cobra (#3675 of 4040) | 2003 Expedition

| > 2 cents worth... | >

| > Serge | >

| > > Thanks, John | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Umm, no, The X pipe was invented and tested in NASCAR. It was not a gimmick for unequal shorty headers with ball flanges.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

So to clarify, what would be the advantage of an X over an H ?

Kate

| > 2 cents worth... | >

| > Serge | | Umm, no, The X pipe was invented and tested in NASCAR. It was not a | gimmick for unequal shorty headers with ball flanges. | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Actually, I'd like to know too. I have the stock single exhaust on my '66. I'd like to switch to a dual exhaust, but don't know which way to go. Tri-Y's with H, Shorties with X, Long tube with X or H. I just don't know??? There are so many possible configs. I've even thought about Tri-Y's with the Shelby pipes exiting in front of the rear tires.

Scott Williams '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

Better scavenging, less backpressure and they sound really cool. :D

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Oh yeah, and looking at my stainless Bassani X-pipe, it was shiney and cool looking, like art... lol

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Kate, The difference between H & X pipes is that the X pipe is supposed to flow better than the H pipe. Not sure I believe it, but I could see the advantages. The exhaust note shouldn't change much (if at all) if you swapped from a H to a X. Dr Gas is one company marketing a X pipe & their biggest claim is more horsepower.

Scott, I put the Hi-Po exhaust manifolds on my '64.5, dualed the pipes and had the shop weld an H pipe in. IIRC Tri-y's and long tube headers can have interference problems with the p/s if the car is so equipped. I, too have been looking at the side exiting pipes. Looks GREAT but the sound would drive me nuts on a long drive... :-(

bill

64.5: 260, 3 sp, a/c, SVO cam, Performer, Holley 390, Pertronix, Hi-Po exhaust, 1.5" front & 1" rear drop, Jacobs wires, Torq D's

66: '93 5.0, C4, a/c, ps, Performer RPM, Holley 600, Pertronix, bench seat

Colt SP1,Sig P220, Moss. 590A1, Marlin 70P

Reply to
bill

When they tested the first X pipe on a NASCAR car, they guarded the car like a gold brick. The car was wining easily and everyone could HEAR The difference. The guy was accused of cheating and after inspections by officials it was allowed. This is my second hand story as I don't wacth much NASCAR. There is a definate difference in the exhaust note at high RPMs between my car and the same car with an H pipe.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Thanks fellas for the replies. It's clear as mud now *grin*

From what I gather though, I don't think I would benefit from making a change, and it might actually change the exhaust to a higher note. Something I don't want to do, I like Shug's deep little grumble.

Now, if it were to make a significant change in performance, maybe. If I EVER manage to get back on my feet financially, then a set of headers are in order, and at that time I may have a look into it again..

Kate