Blown Exhaust

After a trip on sunday in the 101 the exhaust snapped in two. Both parts of the exhaust on either side are in good order. Can i (or Should I) place a slightly thicker piece of pipe over both ends to join and then weld them together. I know really i should invest in a new Complete system (stainless) from Rimmers but lack of hard cash is a problem at the moment. Any other suggestions ?

Reply to
Brevit

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:29:32 -0000, "Brevit" made me spill my meths by writing:

Baked bean can, sliced along it's length, some heavy duty broad jubilee clip type straps and a bit of exhaust gasket goo. Could well work if the joint is well supported. Worked for me once on a Volvo with a blown pipe section and lasted for ages. Problem with welding, IMHO, is how to get all round the join, unless you have good access.

Take off the most accessible bit of pipe and weld your repair section over it, then two or four slots with thin cutting disc or doubled hacksaw and slip it over the other good section of pipe, then some exhaust clamps to bully it into place with a bit of goo. got to get the repair section the right length though, would look silly if it was measured twice and still managed to be 1 inch short :)

Re-route it completely and have twin chromed vertical stacks either side at the back?

...you want my cloakroom ticket already?

but I wasn't leavin...

Reply to
Wayne Davies

Just a thought: Cut say 2 inch off the tail pipe, cut into this 'ring' with a hacksaw to open up the ring - slide over joint in snapped exhaust and weld up.

Done this twice on NissanPatrol, but now tailpeice getting short !

Regards,

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Sharrocks