UPDATE On "Loose" Front End

In a previous post, I talked about how an alignment shop showed me that the front wheels on my 1996 GT could wiggle back and forth when you shook them. The guy said that I needed "inner tie rod ends" which confused me because I really only have OUTER tie rod ends that connect to my steering gear assembly.

I jacked one front wheel off of the ground and had a friend shake the wheel back and forth. From a safe distance, I got down on the ground and looked to see what was moving while my friend shook the wheel. The tie rod end SEEMED to move in perfect unison with the wheel assembly, which made me doubt that the tie rod end was bad. (I was expecting to see some slop there.)

What DID move back and forth (about 3/4 inch) was the shaft coming out of the end of the steering gear assembly that attaches to the tie rod end...IS THE MOVEMENT OF THIS SHAFT NORMAL OR SHOULD THE STEERING GEAR ASSEMBLY BE REPLACED?

Please help! I don't know what to do, and I certainly don't want to spend good money replacing something that isn't faulty!

THANKS IN ADVANCE...

Reply to
EADGBE

Did the guy at the alignment shop have no little fingers and did he end every sentence with an "eh"? If so, that would explain a lot. Regardless, anyone who works in an alignment shop and thinks that rack and pinion steering has "inner tie rod ends" is someone NOT to go back to. As for your problem, if you're happy with the handling and if you're getting no uneven tire wear and no shaking at 70+ mph, I wouldn't worry about the slop.

180 Out

EADGBE wrote:

Reply to
one80out

Well, I don't work in an alignment shop, and I believe my R&P has inner tie rod ends. Funny thing is, my service manuals thinks so too. Maybe I shouldn't let me work on my own vehicles anymore, eh?

Reply to
.boB

.boB:

I wondered about the inner tie rod ends. I'm not saying that my Haynes manual is the final word, but it only mentions the OUTER tie rod ends. There are no instructions for removing or installing any other tie rod ends. Why is this? Is the Haynes manual assuming that the inner tie rod ends are simply part of the R&P?

Reply to
EADGBE

Mustang R&P's have outer tie rod ends and what I have always called a 'inner tie rod', but it may be something different. The inner tie rod end connects to the R&P inside the rubber accordion boot present at each end of the R&P.

Reply to
cprice

Rack and pinion steering HAS inner tie rod ends. These are spring loaded and the only sure way to check them is to lower the front wheels to the ground (or otherwise "load " the suspension) and have an assistant move the steering wheel side to side. The spec is "no allowable movement".

Front end slop is to be worried about.... unsafe is unsafe and, when it compromises our ability to control our vehicles... well, we read about some of them in the paper every day...

Reply to
Jim Warman

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:_joue.96749$on1.74866@clgrps13:

My Mercury Bobcat had worn inner tie rods but not spring loaded. Not sure about Mustangs.

It's a simple ball and socket joint with an adjustable screw over cap.

Reply to
elaich

Are you guys REALLY "all there"

What is it you think allows that rod coming out of the rack boot to swivel?

Yes, they wear, yes there are replacements for most fords (Ive replaced them on both foxes and MN12's)... and most are easy to replace, considering the cost of a new rack and the trouble in removing and installing the rack, providing the rack isnt leaking fluid..

If it was a FWD, it would be a different story, on some you have to remove the rack to get at them anyway.

"EADGBE" wrote in news:1119470282.932010.26650 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic