Way OT: New Pontiac G8 Your Thoughts?

Take a look folks.

What's your thoughts? Does GM have a future hit in the wings? Will the G8 cut into Chrysler's 300/Magnum/Charger sales? Will GM start carving into import sport sedan sales? Will Ford [ever] be able to one-up this G8?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Les Benn

They have no future with me until they fire all their god-awful designers and design a car that doesn't make me want to puke when I look at it. That eggcrate double grill is OLD and DATED looking. Plus the car looks like the usual Pontiac collection of cheap plastic parts glued together. I used to love GM cars but they just have not had their act together for a long time.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:S5CdnbeLWLYkP0 _YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Agreed. But FWIW, my first impression upon seeing the car was Mitsubishi meets Cadillac from the front, and Audi from the rear. And what's with the "G" thing? Obviously, GM is trying to capitalize on the G6's success, but those names don't evoke anything. Again, US makers should take a clue from the Japanese.

At any rate, it's interesting that the platform is Aussie. Thank goodness for Holden, eh? Can you say 'GTO'?

The car appears to be more of a competitor to the 300 platform. Ford's got nothing in this arena.

Reply to
Joe

I guess Pontiac thinks "more is less" when it comes to car names.

It does look like a rebadged GTO now that you mention it.

It's time Ford dusted off the Thunderbird name and gave us a nice RWD competitor to this and the 300C.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

And call it a Corolla, or Cressida?? :) Wait, the new Pontiac Yaris, or how about Murano, now that has a ring:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Still a tad on the boring looking side. I think that was the biggest problem with the GTO. This must be the newest Holden being imported that a guy from Au I know was talking about.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Exciting performance. Uninspiring styling. Another jelly bean sedan. With just a little bit of work, it would make a fun TT car.

Reply to
.boB

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news:I7WdnUjtO6Gal07YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

21st century marketing. Maybe dwight can comment.

I still see distinct Caddy lines though. The G8 is more "edgy" than the GTO was.

Interesting thought. Take a step back and look at the makers' lines and platforms. DC was the first to leverage the current RWD chassis throughout all their lines. Now GM is setting the stage with the G8, and Ford seems to be running a distant 3rd.

Reply to
Joe

A good solid $25k-$35k (depending on options) RWD V-6/V-8 vehicle might do them some good. The '94 T'Bird we had was a great car. It was just too heavy. Other than that is I had no complaints with it. Ford could easily make a good T'bird off a modified Mustang platform with an IRS rear end and even use the same engine/tranny combos. I think it would sell quite well.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

"Big Al" wrote in news:45d31fd1$0$25778$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

Heh, I loved the thread about the Moron-Oh. At least the Japs have names instead of numbers. And that G8 should've been called the Bonneville.

Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:yaCdnaDQ2O0l1U7YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Except for the V6, the CV fits the bill. Only thing is that the platform is prehistoric.

I agree, except that Ford would have to be very careful about the weight. Once they stretched the chassis a bit, added IRS and other "niceties", the car could end up being a major porker. Bottom line is that Ford needs to do _something_ to keep up with the Joneses.

Reply to
Joe

That's it! I could never put my finger on it, but it looks like a JellyBelly.

Reply to
WindsorFox

BTW (OT) what was it you said PE stands for? One of my Amsoil dealers has a PE (retired) on the end of his name.

Reply to
WindsorFox

The later big (89 to 97) T-Birds had IRS.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

On 13 Feb 2007 19:17:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote something wonderfully witty:

Well I used to be a big Pontiac guy, and I thinks its butt ugly. "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:09:25 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Maybe that has to do with it being developed by Holden just like the GTO. The GTO was always supposed to have been just a stopgap care until the newly architected global rear-wheel-drive platform came out. Guess this is it.

Ford could dust-off quite a few things, but I doubt this Pontiac offering is any styling threat to the 300C. Even to me a die-hard old school Pontiac guy its ugly. "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Reply to
ZombyWoof

It's a big Grand Am. It's the GTO redux. I am thoroughly nonplussed. What makes them think it'll work this time, Grand Am sales?

Reply to
Jason O

Perforamnce: Pretty good. Styling: Uninspiring, jally bean blahhh. Looks like a GTO.

But, it would be fund to take to the track for some hot laps.

Reply to
.boB