Headers?

I am getting an engine rebuilt for a 92 5.0 Should I get headers put on ?

I has a blower on it 6#

Reply to
Gerald

Yes. Long tube. And a good system behind that.

Reply to
.boB

needs to be a daily driver so it needs the cats and the O2 sensors to pass inspection, can long tubes do that or do long tubes go to muffler, or to H pipe ?

Reply to
Gerald

Absolutely. Especially with a blower installed. I have a set of the ceramic FRPP shorty headers that I have been very pleased with. The ceramic coating will keep a good bit of heat out of the engine bay which never hurts for a blown engine and it looks good too. Also, the FRPP headers are very reasonably priced.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

boB,

The scavenging long tubes promote will be of little use for a blown engine. A blower makes the motor more of a push system, does it not?

In this case, money would be better spent on a nice set of ceramic- coated shorties to help keep heat out of the engine compartment and away from the blower.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Generally speaking, long tube assist with high flow (high rpm's, forced induction). And short tubes assist with low flow (low rpm's, otherwise stock motors). Will short tubes work? Sure they will, and it will be a big jump over stock. Pick your poison. They are both kinda expensive, and a pain in the neck to install. It's also very important to have a quality exhaust system behind whichever headers you decide on. There are a few marketed with cats to be smog legal.

Reply to
.boB

I agree that long tubes will give better performance but not enough to deal with the installation headaches, IMO.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I'll second that. I have FMS ceramic coated shorties on my blown Mustang and I NEVER wish for long tubes as I'm driving cautiously down the road. :-) P.S.Don't LT's create a ground clearance issue?

Reply to
GILL

They can. LTs are a pain to install. They also limit the use of after market H-pipes and many don't come with cats. Plus with a blower installed on his car I don't think the probable 5-10 hp gained will be missed much. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

There is a very good header article in one of the stock car mags this month. If you're interested I'll dig it up and let you know the name. Most of the article is aimed at the small block Chevy, but it's all relevant. They do dyno tests with different length and different tube size headers. Very informative.

Al

Reply to
Big Al