Way OT: New Pontiac G8 Your Thoughts?

"dwight" wrote in news:ldCdnee3ReUw5UvYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

The Scions look a lot more expensive than they are. That's a major factor IMO.

Brilliant marketing IMO. Additionally, loading up a wad of options still keeps the car fairly reasonable in price.

Good point. Years ago, I ordered vehicles based on options I wanted, sort of a la carte. Nowadays it's almost unheard of to order your vehicle from the factory. You either take what's on the lot or move on.

To the point that they get accustomed to the brand, I don't think it's unreasonable. I think it's human nature to stay with something you're comfortable with.

To a point. But there comes a time where you want to "upscale". Scions only go so far.

I disagree only in the sense that the desire to improve the quality of life will always be a part of any generation.

I think there will always be a segment that wants to "drive" (i.e., sports/sporty/muscle cars will always be made), but the schism between the lazies and the drivers will increase.

dwight, I know it's cold up there, but you might want to get out for a bit and stop watching all those movies in your entertainment center. ;)

If Scion is building that car, you can bet everyone else will be too. They might not even be known as "cars" by then...

Agreed. To further the point, the entire experience should be a team experience. It shouldn't just start with a core group and then bring in another group that inherits the first group's efforts and so on.

I don't know if today's market supports that. You yourself brought up the point that today's youth are not at all like we were growing up. Today's youth has the attention span of a gnat, demand instant gratification, and expect a disposable product delivered on a gold platter. As you've pointed out, witness the Razr.

That's my wife in a nutshell. She hates to drive, she views cars as tools to be used to get from here to there. She doesn't even put gas in her van - that's my job (for which I'm handsomely rewarded, btw). She loves the Shoebox ('96 Mazda MPV) because it is exactly what you described.

It does have a "manly" name. Now if Tim Hardaway smoked, I'll bet he'd smoke Marlboros... ;)

Reply to
Joe

"....despite the fact that they're indistinguishable from each other." ROFLMAO.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Movies? Me? No, Law and Order reruns 24 hours a day.

It's warming up today - probably hitting 30 about now. I was out this morning chipping at the ice, tidying up the walk and driveway. I dug out TFrog, moved the plowed snow away from the storm drain, and dug out access to my mailbox, so the mailman doesn't have to get out of the truck.

Anything that thaws today will refreeze for the next couple of days, then we're expecting a heat wave (high 30s). When this stuff start to melt, all that water has to go somewhere.

Oh, and I've been cheating the past several days. Used Jean's Escape, which is a blast in snow. (She was down in Mexico City, so she doesn't have to know.)

dwight

Reply to
dwight

"dwight" wrote in news:MJidnUEW0sixw0rYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Which reminds me to ask you - which variation(s) is/are your favorites? I'm still partial to the original, although I do miss Jerry.

You mean she doesn't read this ng?? ;)

Reply to
Joe

No question, it's the original. I miss Jerry, too, and McCoy is getting a bit long in the tooth (what is he, MY age?). Orbach's death has led to a string of unsuccessful replacements, none of which "stuck." Anyway, close second is CI. Love that bug man from Men in Black...

Hah! What newsgroup? She thinks I just get a lot of email.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

The BK commercials are good for a chuckle. Even my wife thinks they are funny.

I do watch the Mercury commercials because the woman they have doing them is hot. ;)

I bet the Scion/Toyota/Lexus combination has one of the highest repeat buyer percentages in the world.

Sometimes I think they first need to realize they are getting their asses kicked. They certainly don't act like they know it.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE