What is the best leather cleaner?

I want to clean my tan leather seats and was wondering what is the best leather cleaner?

Thanks,

RayJ

Reply to
RayJ351

I couldn't find anything that worked very well. Let me know if you find something worth using.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

at 26 Nov 2003, RayJ351 [ snipped-for-privacy@aol.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m20.aol.com:

In my old car, I used the leather cleaner out of my wife's cleaning basket. The one she uses for our leather couch. It did a great job on the older leather. I believe she got it at Wally World...

Reply to
Paul

What's it called?

Reply to
<memset

at 26 Nov 2003, [ snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com] wrote in news:aK4xb.3256$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com:

I just checked, she's out of it. It's a clear plastic bottle saying 'leather cleaner'. It comes in clear, brown and black color I believe. Don't know the brand...

Reply to
Paul

Oh ok... well if she happens to get any more of it please lemme know =). I'll run by walmart sometime today & see what they have. I'm a little low on funds right now... don't get paid til next Friday either.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Try good ole soap and water. Something that is not a drying type formula. Should be able to take a damp cloth and wipe most things away. If your going to mosturize it use Mequires or similar type product. I totall yrecommend staying away from anything that has armour all in its title.

-- batman

batman

Armourr All sucks... left behind a real nasty film for me before & didn't even clean! I use Meguiars products now... the wax is wonderful! $10/bottle though. I think I may try soap & water in a damp cloth.. seems worth a shot.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

There's cleaning and there's conditioning.

Mild soap (like, even facial soap) and warm water is likely to clean your leather just fine, but I've used both Lexol and Mequiars leather cleaners. They both seemed to clean to just fine. Meguiars makes a one-step cleaner-conditioner that works OK, but the results of the two-step products seem to last longer.

I think I prefer Lexol conditioner - it really seems to 'feed' and soften the leather. It certainly *feels* nice the next day once the nutrient oil slick has soaked into the leather.

I would never use Armour All on leather. I don't use it dashes. In fact, I don't use it al all on anything. It's certainly not good to put it on a modern matte-surface dashboard and have the dash become shiny and glare in the windshield.

I also use Lexol on my vinyl convertible top with good results.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Another good one is Mothers. Definitly stay away from son of a gun junk, it will crack your leather!

-- batman

batman

Hey Dana... do you know who sells Lexol products? I didn't see any at wal-mart... I'll try a mild soap + water combination for cleaning, but I'd like a conditioner... I don't want to use any "single step" cleaner+conditioner... don't like 'em much. I'd like to get Lexol Leather Conditioner a try.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Ouch. Thanks for that tip.

Reply to
<memset

As far as I know, they do not stock Lexol products at Wally-world....you can find them at most auto parts stores.

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

I get Lexol at auto-parts stores like Autozone or Pep Boys.

They seem to work OK, just not as good as Lexol has for me. If Lexol made a single-step (and they might and I don't know it), it'd probably work great.

It's been good to me.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Very cool. Thanks Dana & Iggy.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

After having seen that no current leather cleaner/conditioner works to do both, I'd say use a non-residual mild soap and warm water, let it dry and then apply the conditioner.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

What kind of soap have you used? I was gonna use Dial (cheap brand of it)

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

No, do not use Dial....ever feel how clean that stuff rinses off your skin? It will suck alot of the natural oil out of the leather....and the leather Ford uses isn't all that great to begin with. You want a gentle cleaner and good conditioner to feed the leather.

Go with the Lexol products, or get some saddle soap and a quality leather conditioner.

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

I don't know what the best stuff out there is, but I've had good luck with lexol leather cleaner, lexol leather conditioner, and lexol vinylex for the vinyl. The vinylex even rejuvinated the rollers in my old laser printer so it would feed paper properly again. :)

Reply to
Brent P

To the printer remark -- LOL awesome

I think I'll give Lexol a try tomorrow.