Why Chrysler is dying

What a horrifying experience! I went with a friend and his girlfriend so she could look at various small 4x4's. Not my kind of vehicle but then I wasn't buying one. We went to Nissan and saw the Murano, a nice looking vehicle and apparently well-made. Noisy engine under load but a "shiftless" transmission. Meanwhile, the sales people seem motivated and helpful, professional. The showroom and cars were immaculate. Next was Mitsubishi. I forgot what she looked at there, but the same thing, good showroom, very busy and the vehicles all looked clean. Then to Chrysler to see the Pacifica. Walk in. Place is a ghost town. A new (sort of) Crossfire is in the showroom. Sold sticker in the window so it's locked. I had heard the headroom was terrible in them and wanted to get in to see. The car was also dirty, as were most of the vehicles in showroom. Fingerprints on the windows, dust on them. The reception was talking on the phone to a friend. My friend's girlfriend asked one of the idle salespeople how much the Pacifica cost. You see, Chrysler had no price sheets in any of the car windows! So the salesperson ran around "looking" for the pricing. Anyway, no test drive was possible because someone had blocked in the lot Pacifica and had not returned from "lunch." Meanwhile, I admired the orange peel on the paint of the 1965 English milk delivery truck (otherwise known as the PT Cruiser) while the salesperson looked for a guide to the paint available on the Pacifica. It took the salesperson 10 minutes to find the book that would give the paints available for the 2004 model. As a side note, the interior of the Pacifica is loaded with cute features, DVD player, rear seat screen, navigation map (superimposed on the rpm and mph gauges??!). But it looks a bit cheap on the inside. Instead of an ugly silver plastic bezzle around the gear shift with black silkscreened gear numbers that will wear off in six months, why not offer something a bit better, on a $40,000 vehicle? If this is in any way an example of how Chrysler operates, I fear for their future.

-Rich

Reply to
rander3127

There are bad dealers everywhere, for all models. I hardly think this one dealer is reflective of Chrysler as a corporation. Locally, our Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep dealership is probably the nicest. The worst is actually a Honda dealership.

Reply to
wrestleantares

yeah I have had the same happen at a Ford dealership here in town looking at Stangs... price was marked with the rebate and I asked what the bottom dollar was.. he asked where I thought I wanted to be at to buy this...of course when I said $1k less than the price marked, he yelled my head off and asked "just what the hell I thought invoice was"... I promptly told him what I thought of him and unfortunately how he represented the dealership.. of course loud enough for other people to hear as well.. He called a few days later to ask if I had given any more thought to the car.. and I said "yes", "one just like it acrossed town for $200 less"

Reply to
davez

Gee griping at customers is a wonderful way to sell a car! *NOT*. Good way to handle it ;). Also.. Honda dealership is probably the worst around here too. Sux.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

I went to a Ford dealership about a year ago to look at the Explorer for my wife. She has a back problem and cannot open liftgates (actually she can't reach up to close them).

I didn't know until we looked at the vehicle that it had a liftgate. I didn't waste any of the salesman's time. I looked and then *tried* to leave. But a salesman came over and tried to talk me into a sale. Still, no problem, I politely told him my wife had a physical problem and would not be able to operate the liftgate, and we would look for something in it's class elsewhere. The guy got really huffy, and told me the liftgate was so easy to operate that surely my wife could do it. He was really getting on my nerves as we were walking to our car with this guy following us like a dog. I decided enough was enough and spoke to the manager.

Reply to
wrestleantares

Dang what a pushy little prick. I hate sales people like that. Grr.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

Awww hell, I'll give my Nissan experience...

Went to the dealership to test drive a 350Z. and I told the sales droid up front that I was here only to check out the car and had NO intentions of buying today, whatsoever, no matter what (was very, very clear about this). First thing he asks is if I want to drive it (of course), and then whether I wanted auto or stick. So far so good.

So the drive goes... ehh, okay. Handles ok, but acceleration is a bit on the low side (of course, pretty much everything is compared to a motorcycle - and no, for you long timers, I am not "tTt"). After seeing the gas light come on as soon as I hit a main street, I expressed my disappointment and turned around.

We are barely 10' from the car, and the guy asks if I want to talk numbers. I politely remind him that I'm not purchasing today, and that if I decide the Z is the car I'd like, we'd talk then. We walk back into the showroom so he can give me some more info on the car, and after disappearing to the back room "for a brochure," he returns empty handed saying that his manager would REALLY like my business - and what would it take for me to buy "today." My jaw drops, I ask him if he understands the english language, and tell him I'm leaving to take my fiance to dinner, and I don't have time for these bullshit sales tactics. He apologizes and asks if we will wait a few more minutes so he can get me "that brochure." I tell him he's got as much time as it takes me to finish my smoke, and then I'm out. As I am taking the last couple of puffs from the cancer stick, my fiance notices the droid sitting inside the doorway, talking to another persont. We start to walk away and then he comes out with this other person - his sales manager...

I promptly turn up the "manly voice" and tell them how appauling their sketchy sales tactics are, and how I wouldn't even consider buying from them now that I've been treated as such, and again start walking to the car.

The answer I get? "Sir, what would it take for you to buy today? What number are you looking for? We want your business!"

I turned around, gave the manager and his droid the bird (one for each), and grinningly said, "One dollar, and not a penny more for that over-priced piece of shit."

The chuckles of the other potential customers said it all, as well as the priceless look on their faces. They never called me... *sniff*

The Ford dealership, >Dang what a pushy little prick. I hate sales people like that. Grr. >

Reply to
Matt

d.

This is a common sales tactic. The scam is that once they've allowed you to drive the car, that you are now in their debt. Ergo, you are "obliged" to talk a deal with them. This is why I never go for test drives and usually don't have to put up with this kind of BS.

There is one way you can get out of the sales slam after a test drive, and that's to really criticize the car. Tell them the car doesn't have enough room, isn't fast enough, you can't feel comfortable in the seat. At that point, they'll probably leave you alone.

Reply to
Rufus T. Frazier

that's what you get for looking at a Ford. You were probably being as ugly with them as they were with you. Give the guy a break he's just trying to do his job.

Reply to
nynites

You have no idea what you are taliking about, so why don't you stalk someone else.

Reply to
wrestleantares

I don't think there is a group on here that you don't have some kind of message in it.. you need to stop stalking me fool

Reply to
nynites

You know, after reading this post, I see what an idiot this person is.

After spending 22 years in the IT field, I decided to try car sales for something different. Granted, there are some sleazy people in the industry, but the industry is changing that stereo type.

When you go to a car lot, you are not there to buy a loaf of bread. All they sell is cars. It is the responsibility of each car sales rep to meet and greet everyone. When you walk on the lot, you are a potential sale and the reps will do what ever it takes to make that sale. We only get paid when we sell a vehicle, so those (like this one) are just wasting someone's time by playing games. (We have families to feed as well).

Where I work, if a rep feels that he is not getting anywhere with a potential customer, they turn them to someone else that may have a better rapport with the customer. The sales managers are only there to work the numbers and close the deal. There is no hard sell and there are no closers. If a deal is made, great, if not, it's thank you for your time.

I work hard for my money, and it appalls me when idiots like this makes these types of comments.

Everyone deserves respect.

Reply to
Tom Jones

"Tom Jones" wrote in news:g7ggb.230358$ snipped-for-privacy@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:

So you're admitting that you'll "do whatever it takes to make that sale", including ignoring the potential customer's wishes? That's why you all have such a bad rep. You don't respect the customer.

That seems to contradict what you said above. Which is it - do anything for the sale, or let well enough alone when the propspect indicates he's not interested?

Yes - starting with the prospective customer. Obviously, Matt didn't get any respect from the sales goons - all he got was bs. Tom, how in hell do you see him as an idiot? From your post, you sound a lot more like one than Matt does.

Joe

(snip)

Tom,

From what Matt says, he was very upfront about just checking cars out, and that he was not buying one that day. It doesn't sound like he was playing games. I don't know why he wanted a test drive if he wasn't buying.

That sound a lot like the dealership that I bought my car at. The salesperson came out, and I told him that I wasn't going to buy that day, or in the immediate future, but I was looking at buying in about six months. The guy gave me his card, and stood by (but not right on top of me) in case I had any questions. When it came time to buy, they were the only dealship I talked to.

Back in my retail days (computer software), we had a district manager who told us that customers said no four times before they bought, so if we didn't keep pushing for the sale after three "noes", we just weren't doing our job. It sounds like Matt got a dealership with a sales manager that believes that crap.

Contrast my good experience with the bad one I had at the dealership here in town. I told them I was going to be buying a Mustang in about six months, but wasn't going to buy that day. First thing the guy did was say "I really see you in a truck--let me show you the F-150". Now, I'm not a complete idiot--I know the profit margin is a lot higher on trucks than it is on cars, which is why he was trying to move me into a pickup. I told him that if I was interested in a truck, I'd be looking at trucks, but since I was going to buy a Mustang in six months, that was what I wanted to look at.

He showed me a couple, and then gave me the "What would it take to get you to drive this car off the lot" crap. He tried it again, and then excused himself for a moment, and when he came back, he had worked out a payment plan!

The one mistake I made was giving them my name and number because the sales manager "required that he get that information from everyone he talks to" (I know--stupid of me, but nobody's perfect). He called the next day to see if I was ready to deal. He also called the day after. And the following day. He called on the morning of the fourth day, and that afternoon, the sales manager called, and said that he "knew I was interested in an F-150 or a Mustang", and they were holding "my" car and truck, just waiting for me to come down and sign the paperwork--"What time can we expect you in?"

At that point, I absolutely blew a gasket, told him that I wouldn't buy from them if they were $5000 cheaper, and threw in a free hooker in the back seat. There was also more than a sprinkling of profanity.

The problem is that there are so many bad dealers who will do anything to force you to buy from them today, that it tars the dealers who don't work that way. Because of that, people walk into any dealership expecting to have to threaten mayhem just to get out without being strong-armed.

See, that's just it. Most dealerships (and yours sounds like a very welcome exception) don't respect their customers that people can be tricked, bullied, or made to feel obligated to buy since they've "wasted" the salesperson's time if they don't. A lot of people go into a dealership expecting a fight.

take care, Scott

Reply to
Scott Stevenson

Chrysler is dying because their cars, and their service sucks ass. I have a 2002 Sebring LXi that is about to get pushed over a cliff. Their cars seem sturdy, and I admit they are comfortable inside, but do all Dodge/Chrysler products have to have a piece of junk transmission? My wife HAD to have this car (I tried to talk her into a Camry, but NO) ... it seems everyone I talk to with one of their products have had no end of transmission problems. 7 year powertrain warranty... HA! Talk about a huge scam! Sure, you don't have to pay for anything when you take your car in, but then they don't actually fix anything either. It seems to me people like to buy reliable transportation. Chrysler products do not seem (IMHO) to be reliable transportation. As far as I am concerned, Chrysler can die. My Mustang, while it doesn't have as much of a "well built" feel to it when compaired to the Sebring, seems infinately more reliable. The transmission on the Mustang doesnt clunk when it shifts. The transmission on the Mustang actually downshifts when you step on the gas.

Ahhh hell. I want a Viper though, how are the transmissions in those? :-P

-bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Hehe right on. I had a similar experience before I bought my Mustang... I went to test drive a couple Mustangs at a local dealer. The first one I tested was a manual, and it was only the second time EVER that I have driven a standard. Oh man I fried that clutch good... smoke and all. Then I drove an auto, and I liked it. Of course they tried that "what would it take for you to buy it today" crap. I just told him sternly that I am not buying anything today. The guy got all pissed and stomped away. Fine by me sucker :)

I ended up buying from another dealer, and *I* was the one being a total ass to them. They didnt take me seriously that I was going to pay cash for a new Mustang so I turned into a major prick. Got what I wanted though.

I still feel bad about frying that clutch. :)

-bryan

Reply to
Bryan

those?

Vewy Vewy expensive!

Reply to
Matt

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:38:48 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@someemailaddress.notcom wrote something wonderfully witty:

And manual.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

And built by Tremec.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

A neighbor bought a new Dodge pickup (the big one) two years ago. He has had nothing but transmission problems since he brought it home. Finally, 14 months after he bought it, the engine croaked. They had repaired the transmission 5X and had to put in a rebuilt engine. At that point, he dumped it and bought a Ford F-250 to replace it. So far, the Ford has had no trouble whatsoever. He took a HUGE hit on taxes and trade-in depreciation when he got rid of that POS, and he was not happy about it.

The last Dodge I owned was a '78, and had one those GD 904-LU transmissions. What a piece!!! Again, nothing but transmission problems. The lockup constantly shuddered, and even after I had the lockup valve disabled, the torque converter blew up, requiring the replacement of both TQ and transmission. (I was only pulling away from a stoplight gently when it blew!) This one only lasted 13 months. The shop flat-out told me that Chrysler/Dodge makes the shittiest transissions in the industry, and he hated working on them because of their poor design. I finally got tired of this nonsense, and had the whole thing towed off to a junkyard in '92.

Even this stupid old Chevy beatermobile tops Chrysler products in terms of reliability. At 178,000 miles, it's still purring right along. You're lucky if you can get 5 years out of a Chrysler before wanting to push it off a cliff.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams