Worst case with bad TO bearing

Hi, Looks like my clutch has a bad throw-out bearing. It's very noisy but the car drives ok for now. Do I have much time before something major happens? (I don't have the cash now to fix the clutch). Is it safe to drive at all? Thanks Mark

2000 GT 'vert
Reply to
Mark G7#9

Common sense says if the bearing comes apart it will do some damage. Is it making a grinding or rough sound? Or is it just a slight chirp? If it's just chirping a bit you might try shooting some white grease into the bearing. Get a can of aerosol white lithium grease and a straw you stick into the nozzle, tape two straws together to get a good reach into the bell housing and try to keep it in the bearing and not on the pressure plate.

Reply to
GILL

Worst case is damage to the fingers on the pressure plate, galling of the input shaft sleeve (technically, the bearing retainer sleeve) and the clutch release lever. All of which would normally be reused when changing a clutch disk and/or throwout bearing.

Assuming it's not making any noise _at all_ when in gear and being driven it should be safe for freeway driving, but stop and go traffic is going to hurt you. Skip as many gears as possible. Pull up on the clutch pedal with your toe or reach down with your hand. "Glide-shift" if you can without the clutch.

The longer you wait, the more potential damage you do.

rd

Reply to
RD Jones