300ZX TT rear wheel steering

I bought a '89 300ZX TT with rear wheel steering and a couple of times it has scared the hell out of me. I'm used to hard cornering in my modified '77 260Z and love to induce the rear to slide. But this 300ZX TT seems to have a mind of it's own. It will start to slide the rear end but almost immediately something happens and the rear just digs in and I nearly lose control. How and when does this rear wheel steering work? Can it be controlled or turned off?

Any ideas or thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Reply to
knights58_2000

My personal opinion is that it's very effective at helping to maintain control of the car. Basically the HICAS system will turn the rear wheels the opposite direction of the front wheels at medium speeds (30-55 MPH) to aid in cornering. HICAS will turn the rear wheels the same direction as the front wheels at high speeds to help the car "glide" during high speed passes. The turning of the rear wheels takes place in a split second and the wheel is returned to it's normal orientation. That's why you feel the rear end "sliding". It's not actually sliding, but your car has made an adjustment to more quickly and controllably be oriented in the correct direction, then returned the wheels to a straight position. It really is a system that was way ahead of it's time. Do some searching over at

and you'll find tons of posts about it. Some people remove the system and are much happier too. You'll just have to do some reading and decide for yourself.

Dustin

Reply to
Dustin

I'm getting used to it and getting more confident now with use. Now I'm aware of what is happening it's easier to handle.

Cheers.

Reply to
ZedLover65