Brakes

Hi,

I'm in the process of getting my '88 Turbo Z roadworthy again, and the problem I have is with the brakes, want some opinions before I start ripping out parts and buying expensive parts (got a master cylinder quote for $194 ouch).

2 things, one of which someone tells me is normal due to the tranny gear ratio/setup

  1. the brake pedal is very sloppy (ie goes almost to the floor) if i pump is 4-5 times, everytime I brake, it gets better, but still goes a bit sloppy. now this isn't so much of an issue as what happens whan the pedal gets to about 3/4 way down. when it reaches about 3/4 the rear brakes lock up, and i have to release the pedal to stop it.

as you can imagine this makes stopping a hassle (luckily i don't have to drive it like this but i did for a few weeks) first i have to pump the brakes, then i have to brake, release, brake release, etc..

This has driven me to downshifting (auto/OD) to second to slow down like you would in a manual, now this is the part I'm told is normal, when i downshift to 2nd the rear tires lockup for a second and squeal a bit. this combined with the rears locking up on braking was leading me to think the rears are either stuck and dragging, or that they are way over-proportioned to the rear (or both)

now my uncle says it's the master cylinder, but if it's just an case of bleed and adjust (are the front/rear proportion adjustable?) i'd rather not spend the $200. or i'd rather not spend the money and find it was vacuum related, or brake booster, or calipers or any other thing it may be.

oh yeah, all pads are good, probably replaced in the 6 months or so before i got it.

Reply to
B r ia n

Sounds like a bad master cylinder.

Stop doing that or you'll be buying a transmission!

I can promise you it's not an adjustment or "just bleeding".. It also isn't going to be vacuum related or a booster. Without seeing it there is no way to be sure but from what you said, it sounds like a dead master cylinder.

Reply to
Steve T

*chooses to ignore Steve....*

blah ok lol. I hate brakes, and in the last few days I've done exhuast work, replaced a hose that goes from the oil cooler, replaced plugs, wires, pcv, fuel filter, oil and filter, fixed the broken door handle, new battery, fixed a flat, etc....

think I should take it to a shop or just break down and replace MC?

Reply to
B r ia n

It will only cost you a bottle of brake fluid and some time to find out if you just need to bleed them. It's a good idea to bleed them anyway if your car has been sitting.

It sounds like you may have air in your front brake lines. Just a guess.

If bleeding doesn't work then look further.

Randy

Reply to
Randy