Mitsubishi brake problem

I own a Mitsuhbsi Eterna. Lately it is giving problems. After traveling a few kms the rims of the car are very hot and the brake disc is very hot (sizzling when water touches it) Have sent to the mechanic. Serviced the brake calipers and master brake pump but the problems still persists. Power loss of the car is felt. Feels like the tyres are dragging. Can some please help what to do next.

Reply to
Paul Eruthiasamy

You don't say if the problem is the front or rear brakes that get hot. Either way, the brakes are clearly dragging.

If ALL brakes are getting hot, and you have ABS, then its an ABS problem of some sort that's applying the brakes. If no ABS, I suspect that one of the flex hoses has collapsed inside and is stopping the fluid from returning to the master cylinder when you release the pedal. Uncommon but not impossible. There's also a brake pressure equalization valve (probably on the firewall) that may have failed. Never seen one failm but its not impossible either.

If the rear only is hot, check that the hand brake cables are not rusted or jammed, and the shoes/pads are releasing correctly.

If the front only is hot, I'd check that the master cylinder shaft (from the pedal) freeplay is correct.

And get a better mechanic or another garage. The one who swapped the calipers and master, and did not check for binding on a decent road test is incompetent.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

The car does have ABS. Where is the flex hose situated in the car. The front tyre are very hot compared to the back tyres which are quite warm.

Reply to
Paul Eruthiasamy

I would definitely ask the service people what exactly they mean by "serviced". I have had your heating problems on both front brakes of my Expo. It was due to the Winter road chemicals getting by the ageing seals. The first one to go should be the one toward the road center, then the outer. From personal experience I would say servicing is not the way to go. You need remanufactured calipers. They run about $35US per side. Bolt them up, bleed the lines and the heating problem is over. Trying to rebuild old calipers is a waste of time and money given the price of remans... You need new pistons, seals, a professional hone job, exquisite cleaning and no mistakes. It's just not worth the trials .....

Reply to
Outlander

The flex hoses run from the body to the strut, then to the caliper. If the calipers were replaced with remanufactured ones, then you should have no problems. If the garage only "serviced" them, take it back to the garage and require that they do the job properly, so the calipers slide correctly and the pads don't bind. Don't be conned into paying again. They should have a warranty on the work they do (maybe three months) so avail yourself of it.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

The calipers were only taken out and cleaned. The rubber seals for the calipers were changed. When you say the calipers should be changed. Do you mean the whole set or the piston only? Yes i still have warranty for the service done and i will take it back again.

Reply to
Paul Eruthiasamy

Hi Paul, In my opinion the pistons are hanging up in your calipers and this is an indication of worn parts that need replaced. This is quite often more than just seals. It is a probably a piston clearance/caliper bore issue. Trying to figure out the exact problem is not worth the time, effort and money. The Mitsu calipers are remanufactured and readily available in the US at any local auto parts store. I have always had good luck with the CARDONE brand. You get a completely remanufactured, professionally assembled caliper with a warranty for about $36US exchange. I just don't think you can beat that. You just bolt them up, bleed the lines useing the CORRECT brake fluid and the hangup problem is solved. You are good to go.....

Reply to
Outlander