Buying A Used 350Z

I test drove a Manual Transmission 03 350Z today, I am looking at buying it.

It is immaculate as far as I can tell, except for a noticable humming noise when decelerating, I hear the noise from about 30 MPH down to about 15,

This humming noise resembles tire noise that my 95 Impalla SS made all the time.

So, does anyone else hear this noise, is it normal, Or should I be concerned

TIA,

DM

Reply to
webappsusa

normal. dude do more tests.

drive the car... ok. I mean really slow... turn the wheel far left. then slam on the breaks.

if you hear a knock like a free game on a pinball machine that means the arm on the right wheel needs adjusting or even changing. a lot of z's have this problem. if you see grease on the windows... that is a nother problem.

back bumpers sometimes has worn away foam... which makes the bumper rattle at high speeds... look right under neath the exhaust. or tap the bumper. if it rattles... like a "bbbrrraaahhhh" that needs fixing

make sure you get your mesh protector for the trunk.

now something's all z's have that is not really a error just something they need to work on. arm rest door will pop open when your driving... watch for that. the seat belts go back way too fast.. almost sounds like they are going to break the glass... what happens is it will hit the door and leave pits in the door. when you open the door and look at it in the sun on a angle you can see the dents.

Cup holder at times on a few Z's gets stuck. only the weirdest shades can fit in the eye glass holder.

to open your trunk.. there is a button above the license plate...

I suggest you change your grill ASAP since the z has a huge bumper... rocks and the whole world goes flinging in there. that is the first thing you should do.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

Good advice,

Dang a "nerd" is agreeing with Kling...

Let me ask everyone this. Is there a fix for this cup holder thing, it's irritating. Does anyone else have a passenger side rear compartment storage door that always comes off the hinges? Other than that I got lucky on the other known probs.

Max

Reply to
Paul Maxson

known probs.

OK I am bottom posting... so look I am a nerd too now... I used WD on the cup holder... works smooth now. I mean I spayed it down!!! (insides not the outer casing) now the storage door off the hinges.. you mean the whole thing pops off? never heard of that one.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

The roaring tire noise you hear when decelerating is more than likely due to tire feathering, or uneven wear. There is a Nissan TSB (technical service bulletin) for this, so hopefully the car is still under warranty.

A fix for this problem supposedly was included on the very latest 2003 models and the 2004s. Mine was build in March '03 but is showing signs of it at 3500 miles.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Jones

King,

Good idea about lubing the cup holder. Yeah the door is only held in place by guides at the bottom and nothing seems to be holding these guides down so if it is opened to far or too often it pops right off. Pretty lame.

Max

Reply to
Paul Maxson

QUESTION... if you change the rims... that will not fix the issue? or is it a alignment thing?

Reply to
KINGLIFER

Mine was built in Jan '03 and I've got nearly 6,000 miles with no signs of feathering/cupping....go figure.

Reply to
Rustvold

Rims have nothing to do with it. It's a suspension/alignment problem.

Reply to
Rustvold

Mine doesn't hum or clunk VIN *****10989

Reply to
Rustvold

Reply to
KINGLIFER

Thanks for your 'detailed' input. I will heed it.

DM

Reply to
webappsusa

Reply to
Jake

I just watched the PBS show, Motorweek or whatever and they had tire noise problems with their long term 350Z and changed the tires to another brand and the problem went away. Sounded like a common problem.

Reply to
Andy Weaks

I got new rims all together so I guess that is why I was unsure about this issue

thank you for that information about PBS.

Reply to
KINGLIFER