Noisy front end

I just bought a '94 SL2 that has an annoying noise in the front drive train. I found that someone has put a 195-65r-15 on the driver's side. I looked up tire specs and that 65r is nearly 2.5" larger in circumference than the 60r on the passenger side. Seems to me this might cause that noise. Opinions?

Reply to
jogle

You have two different sizes of tires on one axle? If excessive noise is the only ill effect you're experiencing, count yourself lucky. Get that fixed right away. You don't necessarily need tires the same size as OEM, or even the same size in the front as the back, but both tires on an axle must be the same size. Good grief, I can't believe any tire shop would do that, accidentally or otherwise. You might ask the previous owner if he just recently had one replaced, then get his reciept and take it back and ask them to replace it with the correct size.

Reply to
Ratbert

Ratbert, thanks for your reply. I'm probably not lucky. I already know the owner lied about a few things and I'm sure he'd do it again. I doubt if a tire shop put that tire on but anything's possible. I have no recourse as it was a private owner and sold as is. I didn't notice the noise when I drove it before buying it so it's possible the tire was swapped between then and when I bought it.

How much and what kind of noise is caused by unevenly worn tires, and what damage may have been done by this? BTW, I moved that 195-65r tire to the rear axle and it helped, though only partially.

Reply to
jogle