Digital Dash

I just bought an 83 280zx with the digital dash. The tach and other read outs work fine. The problem is the speedometer only reads 0. So there is an image there but not the speed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
James Simas

Likely is a bad speed sensor, I assume the odometer is dead as well?

Reply to
Steve T

The odometer is not digital. It reads 127,000 and works fine.

Steve T wrote:

Reply to
James Simas

Of course it still reads some miles but is the odometer is still advancing miles? And yes the odometer is electronically controlled, it's just mechanically displayed. There is no cable going to the speedo head unit. If the odometer is no longer counting off miles, then the speed sensor is the problem. If the odometer is advancing miles but the speedo doesn't work, you have a WEIRD problem that is likely going to be expencive to repair.

Reply to
Steve T

Steve,

Thanks for the response. Yes it is advancing. Sounds like unfortunately I have the later. The display panel lights and says "0".

I had no idea that the odometer was contolled digitally.

Thanks,

Jim

Steve T wrote:

Reply to
James Simas

Hi Steve,

I have an "87 N/T Auto. My speedo will be fine one minute, then show 0 the next. When this happens it will kill the cruise and drop out of over drive. It will just come and go at will. I was thinking it's a bad ground somewhere.

Now I'm wondering if this sensor is on or near the tranny? I have a bit of a tranny leak. I lose about a quart of fluid every two fill ups. I don't see any dripping where I park it, and there doesn't seem to be much blow by on the undercarriage. I was thinking maybe the sensor or coupling was getting saturated with tranny fluid causing the speedo to short out. It seems to happen more just after I fill the tranny. Also I was thinking the vacuum modulator was bad and I am burning the fluid. Does that make any sense?

I'll double check to see if the odometer is advancing.

Thanks,

Randy

Reply to
Randy H.

It's on the tranny.

That's very possible, pull the vac line at the modulator and if you see fluid, it's bad.

Reply to
Steve T

Most likely it's the "amplifier" box that controls the dash..

Reply to
Steve T

Thanks Steve,

Anyone who has monitored this group for a while knows that you're the man! I/we sure appreciate your efforts !

Randy

Reply to
Randy H.