OK going down the list of important things to take care of:

Alright, I bought a 1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo, its got 90,000 miles on it, the list of things I have to do is thus, and would like some input of other important things to have checked out while I'm at it....

Already changed the air filter... it was dried out and I could put my finger through it....

#1 oil change (who knows when the last one was done) #2 New passenger window (it was broken out) #3 New Driver side window motor (inop) #4 new KYB struts all around (rears are blown and dry, fronts are leaking) #5 buff out the paint. #6 new hoses, accessory belts, vac lines etc... #7 New timing belt??? #8 transmission flush? coolant flush? power steering flush? brake line flush? #9 new rear washer pump #10 washer fluid sensor #11 CV joints are looking a little dry, will probably leak sometime in the next 10K.

Thankfully I work at a car dealership and can get work done cheap on anything thats over my head..

Reply to
Paradox

Hope you bought it from the nissan dealer or you can add a new MAS to the list..

Yep, and don't wait for it to break.

I wouldn't on the tranny unless you know the history. The PS flush is a waste of money and be ready to buy a new master cylinder if you try the brake flush if it hasn't been done every couple of years.

doubtful, never seen them cause a problem

Then get them to check the AIV valve and make sure it isn't leaking exhaust into the MAS.

Reply to
Steve T

MAS = Manifold vacuum sensor?

If so, how does the exhaust air intake leak into there? Is that something unique to the 300ZX plumbing?

Reply to
Ken

Translation MAS = Mass Airflow Sensor - usually a flap valve type. Nissan use hot wire and call them AFM = Air flow meter. Platinum hot wires can get contaminated with oil from breather system and lint from air filter. Before doing an expensive replacement try cleaning off by taking module out of body and giving it a squirt of carb cleaner.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Yeah I have a 2003 monte, its got a MAF sensor, same deal, the techs at work complain about them because they can cause alot of phantom problems.

Reply to
Paradox

Uh you got that backwards, hot wire is MAS, flap type is AFM.

Actually in this case the AIV valve (Air inlet valve which is conected to the exhaust manifold and has metal reed valves in it) starts leaking and dumps hot exhaust gases into the air stream in front of the MAS, quickly killing them. This is a well known problem on those cars.

Reply to
Steve T