1992 Pathfinder speedometer needle sticks

The speedometer cable on my 1992 pathfinder sticks. A little over a year ago, I noticed that the needle seems to have bent down (maybe it got too hot one summer day??) so that it is very close to the dial. Perhaps it even scrapes along it. I noticed that sometimes the needle seems to get stuck at certain speeds and remains there despite speeding up or slowing down. If I get more than about 5 mph away, then it starts to respond again. Sometimes when I stop, the needle stays pointing at 15 - 25 mph instead of 0. I never really know my speed and thus may be at risk of getting a ticket, particularly around the construction zones around here ($240 - ouch). Could it be something as simple as needing to lube a speedometer cable, or would I need to replace the entire gauge console and reset the odometer to the current mileage. (I doubt the latter would happen, unless I get a ticket, because I imagine that's pretty expensive - hopefully a shot of WD-40 will do it.)

Reply to
ImageAnalyst

A speedo cable problem usually manifests itself as a needle that bounces around. I think you have a problem with the meter. The first thing I'd do is see if you can get in there and bend the needle.

In a pinch you can use a GPS as a speedometer.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com...

Chuck: Thanks for the response. I'm worried that if I drilled a hole though the plastic and tried to grab the needle and pull it away from the dial that the needle would pop off completely. Maybe I'll try the GPS

- it'll probably be cheaper than fixing this thing properly. Regards, ImageAnalyst

Reply to
ImageAnalyst