1991 Nissan Pickup - speedometer sticking

my speedometer sticks at 40, 60, 70 and 75...it will stick for a good 5 - 10 miles an hour (down or up) then jumps up to the proper speed...

sometimes it appears sluggish on acceleration too...any ideas?

could the cable need replacing? could it just be hitting the dial itself?

where should i start?

Reply to
joe s

My tachometer starting exhibiting the same symptoms and I eventually had the dashpod replaced. This was for a 95 Pathy. Cost was around $400 if I remember correctly.

Reply to
Botchka

Reply to
joe s

Try the speedo cable first. They're relatively inexpensive and not too hard to replace.

Reply to
ppointer

cool, just checked my haynes and there is NOTHING in there on the cable replacement..

any po> > my speedometer sticks at 40, 60, 70 and 75...it will stick for a good 5 - 10

Reply to
joe s

This will be somewhat a PITA. You'll have to reach up under the dash and find the cable. Figure out where it goes through the firewall. Then find where it connects to the transmission. That's how I replaced one about ten years ago. It took about 10 minutes. NAPA carries them for most autos.

Reply to
ppointer

sounds like its right up my ally ;)

thnx..