1998 Altima Electrical Problems After Jump Start Connected Backwards

Hi,

I left the lights on in the hospital parking lot. The young security fellow hooked up his jump start battery backwards. Blew the main 100 amp fuse and has caused other gremlins. Occasionally now, everything goes dead. No lights, locks, etc. Nothing. After an hour or two everything works again. (so far)

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Joe Trent

Reply to
Joe D. Trent

Additional info:

This problem may seem to be related to heat and/or running the a/c. The first time I started it after replacing the 100 amp fuse, I turned on the a/c to see if it was charging. It immediately died, but restarted. A couple of other times, it has died after having been run for a while. Running downtown yesterday on a hot day with no a/c on it died but started ok later. Running the fan maybe???

I appreciate any suggestions.

Joe

Joe D. Trent wrote:

Reply to
Joe D. Trent

Well, the current that blew the 100 amps fuse, went thru some other wires too.

It sounds as if your problem has to do with a ground connection to me. Something seems to be overheating, then after some cooling time, things go back to normal.

Check the fuse box for overheating right after things stop working, not the fuses, but the box itself. Same applies to ground wires.

Did the guy c> Hi,

Reply to
AS

Yes. He hooked it up as I was getting in to start the car. It wouldn't start, of course. But the emergency flasher indicator lights were coming on in an odd way. Got out to see if he had gotten a good connection and saw smoke from one of the terminals. Don't know why it didn't do more damage.

He was trying to help, but...

Reply to
Joe D. Trent