300ZX Lens Problem

Hi

We recently bought a fully imported 1986 300ZX with turbo 2-litre inline

6 cylinder engine. Although already registered in two states in Australia, roadworthy inspection in our current state of Queensland now rejects the front amber parking/turn signal lenses. Does anyone know where we can find suitable front lenses with amber turn and clear park lights? From overseas if necessary?

Thanks in advance Don

Reply to
D&JG

on 10/6/2007 12:03 PM D&JG said the following:

These are the original lenses? If so, how can they require that change on a vehicle that came equipped with those lenses? That's like requiring it to have air bags which lack is more of a safety factor. I would hate to have an old 50's type restored vehicle that they required that I install safety belts, a collapsible steering column, and a third brake light, among other newer technologies. All these things should be grandfathered (it was valid at the time, so it stays valid)

Reply to
willshak

It'll be a grey import:

Different Australian states can have different rules about what's required to register such vehicles. Left-hand-drive vehicles, for example, can be registered only in some states.

The Queensland authorities will be applying their mandatory rules for vehicles of that vintage. If the vehicle was sold new anywhere in Australia, it would already meet them.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Thanks for your comments, guys. I agree that differing state regulations are a pain!! Nevertheless, we still have to find where we can buy some for our daughter's car or it will be useless next month when the previous state registration expires! Getting desperate.

Don

Reply to
D&JG

Not familiar with your rego laws.

1st option

Are you allowed to put some additional parking lights on? Some small lamps - if it doesn't have to have markings that say it's approved as a parking lamp a cheap side repeater with white lens and white bulb instead of the amber one. Scrap VW/Audi should yield some, just swap the bulb.

2nd option

Can you introduce a 5w bulb into the headlamp somewhere? If it's only needed when "parked" with lights down how about facing rearwards behind bumper bar so it's reflected by exposed part of headlamp .

200SX has a grill that made it easy to hide a light behind.
5/21W amber turn signal in combo location showed an amber position lamp. Separate 5W white parking lamp (UK obligatory white position lights). Cut wire that fed the 5W filament of the 21W/5W amber bulb in crystal combo lamp. Spliced the parking light onto cut end and into earth wire. 3rd option

Was it a USA car? JDM FAST disc shows combo lamp with rect amber lens and square parking lamp on JDM cars. But part nos and change over date are different to UK ones.

Not sure if lights with separate white and amber lens are same size as single amber lens but if same import UK spec amber/white combo lamps? Quote part number, have the parts guy throw a fit, calm him down, get him to phone in for quote and confirm (non) availablity from AUS parts store, maybe 3 weeks to get though Nissan parts system if anything like UK supplies of JDM bits. Costalot at UK prices there won't be any change from £150GBP and maybe £200GBP the pair.

From Nissan FAST.

01/84-2/87 rectangular lamps. 26120-07P00 LAMP ASSY-FRONT COMBINATION,RH 26125-07P00 LAMP ASSY-FRONT COMBINATION,LH
2/87 onwards rounded ends 26120-23P00 LAMP ASSY-FRONT COMBINATION,RH 26125-23P00 LAMP ASSY-FRONT COMBINATION,LH
That is a complete assembly, I think you need the whole lot but you can bit torrent a copy of fast and have a check for Z31 on ER disk. JDM is on B2 disk. 300zx.co.uk seems to be for Z32's you could try looking for a Z31 web forum with a breakers section.
Reply to
Peter Hill

Magic! Phil

Thanks for all this info. We now have some things to work on. Off and running now..

Don

Reply to
D&JG