96 Sentra.. Need advice on cooling problem

I have a 96 Sentra with a 1.6 liter engine with 120k miles. Recently, I have had an overheating problem. It occurred on a trip to Florida (from Texas). I handled it on the trip by turning on the interior heater. Fortunately, it was pretty cool outside and the heat on the inside was beneficial.

Thinking the problem was the radiator, I brought it to a shop yesterday. The tech there did some flow tests and indicated that he didn't think that the radiator would have caused the problem I experienced. I also checked the thermostat by placing it in some boiling water to see if it functioned correctly..... it did. After reinstalling the radiator and the thermostat, I ran the car today in the garage to see if the overheating continued. Here is what I found:

  1. the fluid was boiling in my overflow container, while the temp gauge read in the middle range.

  1. the lower hose from the engine to the radiator was cool to the touch after running the engine 10 minutes in the garage. The upper hose was hot.

I would appreciate some ideas on what may be the problem and how I may diagnose them.

Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

Hi Al

You didn't mention this, but your fan is electric, right? Is is coming on before you see this overheating condition? If not, it could be that the thermal sensor that turns this fan on is bad.

It could also be that your waterpump has a problem. If you remove the belt, do you feel any play in the pulley? Regards, Remco

Reply to
Remco

check the fan motors.

the both should come on when you turn on the a/c.

if they don't you have found the problem

Reply to
NissTech