'98 Frontier. Overvoltage?

There are some salt deposits and corrosion around the battery of my ?98 Nissan Frontier 4WD. I sparyed the area with a solution of baking soda and rinsed well. I assume that the battery is deteriorating so I will soon change it.

But just to be sure I did not have an overvoltage problem I measured the voltage at the battery posts: Engine off: 13.1 V (OK) Engine idling: 14.90V Engine at 1500rpm: 14.92V

Are the 14.90 and 14.92V readings too high?

My shop manual says on pg. EL-30 (Trouble Diagnoses) that battery voltage at 1500rpm should be less than 15.5V which it is. However on page EL-32 the specifications say that regulated output voltage is 14.1 to 14.7V. I?m at 14.9. Is that a problem? Of course I used a cheap digital multimeter but my experience has been that they are nonetheless fairly accurate.

The charge warning light does not indicate any malfunction. I read in the manual (pg EL-30) that the light is designed to detect overvoltage and will light up (which it does not).

Any suggestions on the 14.9V readings possibly being too high?

-- Message posted using

information at

ThomasE

Looks like you answered your own question. Basically, overvoltage is only a problem if it is over 15.5 V. 14.9V is nothing to worry about.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Thanks for the tip on voltage. I will not worry about it. I will just change the battery sometime soon.

-- Message posted using

information at

ThomasE