Aftermarket Air Intakes? Fact or Fiction

What would an air ram type air filter really add to my 2.4L 98 Frontier?

I feel the engine could use more air intake as when a wing nut on the air filter cover was missing I could hear a whistling sound on wide open throttle.

Does that mean that my engine is pulling more air than the stock intake can provide?

What happens with the air flow sensor input with an air ram filter, what effects on the system without this working?

Any good, bad, indifferent results - experiences?

TIA

Reply to
Charles Mohney

Very little measurable gain using these. The OEM's aren't going to give up several HP by using an air filter that is too small given how HP crazy people are today. At best you =MIGHT= see 2-3HP and at the same time gain a BUNCH of intake noise. Also some designs draw hot air from the engine bay which hurts power..

What people "think" is: this is making a huge difference because of all the noise, just like those "fart can" mufflers make a car sound faster while doing nothing for the actual performance. Anyone who claims more MPG is

-wrong-, the stock air box/filter can easily deal with cruising air flow.

Reply to
Steve T

fiction

Reply to
I'm Right

yes

The stock cold feed duct on most cars is rubbish, they usually have a restrictive S bend in them causing about 1/3 of total inlet pressure drop. Just change the OEM filter 2-3 times more often and add extra cold air duct or ducts into the dirty side of the filter housing fed from high pressure areas in front of the slam panel. Will work as well if not better than a hot air induction kit.

Typically about 3-5% of inlet pressure loss is due to filter when it's new and clean. K&N claim their filter reduces the loss due to filter by 10% so that's just 0.3-0.5% reduction in total intake loss. They also claim about 4% power gain - all due to removal of intake snorkel.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Thanks for thoughtfull response!

Reply to
Charles Mohney

Peter, that sounds like the voice of a designer speaking. Mind sharing your background in this subject?

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

I work as an Engineer for an engine maker based in Derby, England.

Reply to
Peter Hill