Dipstick woes

I have a 2003 Nissan Murano. This car has the damndest dipstick I've ever tried to read. It smears 99% of the time and is just about impossible to get a valid reading. I have found that the back side of the dipstick tends to read easier than the front. What the heck are these engineers thinking? If you over-fill the crankcase, not only do you risk engine damage, but starting can be a real bear.

Reply to
Reece Talley

One problem that I've had *been reported by others* is that the dip stick breaks off at the handle trying to get it out. Apparently the hard plastic gets very brittle and snaps off. Be careful pulling it out--it was a bitch getting the stick out of the tube. There were many creative ideas on how do it. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Funny you should mention that. I have a 2006 Frontier V-6. The crankcase dipstick is a nightmare to use. It is weirdly shaped and difficult to install or remove, and hard to read. On the other hand, the transmission dipstick is very nice. I wish the engine dipstick guy at Nissan would go over and talk to the transmission dipstick guy....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

you are so right, it's almost impossible to get in and out, much less trying to read the level once you've pulled it out of the tube. What were they thinking???

Willy

Reply to
Willy