Help with 97 Sentra cranking but wont start!!!!

My Nissan will crank but will not turn over.....timing chain and starter have both been replaced within the last year...so I suspected the distributor...I have no spark when I crank the engine.....following the checks in the Haynes manual....i have all the correct voltages going into the distributor, but I have no resistance when checking the power resistor....the manual says it should read more than zero ohms but it seems like an open to me....also where is the ignition resistor???...the book is very vague as to where this is located....anything else i can test to prove the distributor good or bad???

Reply to
SV

Hi

Just making sure, but you've checked the rotor, wires and cap? Also the rotor is turning, right? If t is not turning, your timing chain may be broken, so let's hope not.

On my altima that ignition resistor is located inside the a harness just below the air intake duct -- they may have done things similar on the sentra.

Once you find everything is ok there, you could check your ignitor (I think they call it a transistor in Nissan world, because that is what it actually is). If you hook up a small bulb across your coil's primary you will see it flicker when you are starting the car if your ignitor is working ok. Once you determine that it flickers, the coil may be bad. If you don't see it flicker, it could be the transistor or whatever drives the transistor (probably a cam shaft sensor).

Hope this is of use in finding your problem. Remco

Reply to
remcow