Would this kill my 97 Sentra?

My 97 Sentra just stopped running one day while I was driving it. Before it died, it had been loosing power at take-off and running kinda crappy.

I've been all over the engine with my Haynes manual looking for the cause of death. I've pretty much ruled out the timing chain, but now I think it might be the distributor. (However, the plugs are getting some fire.) When I opened the distributor and removed the sensor dust cover over the camshaft signal plate, I noticed a slight bit of oil and a bunch of rust colored looking dust particles all over the place. The sensor plate itself looked pretty clean and I could see through the little holes in it.

When I followed my Haynes manual troubleshooting guide for the distributor, and checked the coil connector primary resistance between contacts 7 and 8 it was fine, but when I checked for secondary resistance between the contact 7 and the rotor cap there was nothing not even zero reading. I also checked the resistance between the coil connector 7 and the camshaft connector 2 like the manual said, again nothing, not even zero. Could the distributor be the cause of death?

The manual also said to check the ignition resistor, but I can't find it -- anyone know where it is? Baffled.

Reply to
PILKINGTONT

I don't know what the pins are on that connecter, but I can safely say that a distributor problem can kill a car.

However, as you discribed below it sounds like you have a coil problem. The secondary contacts should have conduction.

As far as the ignition resistor, usually the symptom is that when you start the, when the key is in the start position, the car starts. But, when you let go og the key, it dies. The current goes through the resistor in the running mode only. Not while starting.

Mike

distributor, and

Reply to
Mike