More Info on Coolant Leak 96 Sentra

Hi,

I have a 96 Sentra gxe with 157K miles. When the engine is cold and running, I get a drip from somewhere near the beginning of the throttle body. There is a coolant hose that feeds a metal tube that goes into the driver's side of the throttle body,right behind a green spring that is right next to the throttle lever.

The green coil attaches to the TB with screws. The TB is dripping from the area the green spring attaches to. It doesn't seem to be leaking out of the rubber hose. It seems to be coming right out the TB next to this green coil thing. Update : I have ruled out the hose as the source of the leak. I put newspaper under the connection of the hose to the metaL pipe, ran the car, got the drip, and the newspaper stayed dry. The drip was starting somewhere later on in the flowpath. I then got a mirror and watched the throttle body area from underneath. I saw the drip forming on the bottom of a brass-colored cylinder which was inserted into the throttle body. This brass-colored cylinder has a post sticking out of the middle of it horizontally, abnout an inch and a half long. Looks like coolant is seepeing out around the edges of this cylinder.

What is this brass-colored cylinder ? Can it be replaced ?

Is it possible the TB is cracked and leaking coolant?

Any clues appreciated !

Reply to
User132384

I might be mistaken on your specific car but some models have a "thermowax" device that controls the fast idle when the engine is cold. If there is some throttle linkage going over to this cylinder, that's what it is. It may have a o-ring sealing it to the TB, I know that Mazda's have this type of thing and it's fairly comon for them to leak as you describe.

Reply to
Steve T

Sound like o-ring is leaking per post from Steve. You'll have to disassemble the themowax accuator and changeout the worn o-ring, check dealer, but they may only sell whole assy. If they don't carry it, then remove and go to home depot and match the o-ring.

Reply to
jjjsan

Or brake clean the parts and RTV it.

Reply to