new owner 4X4

Hi, I am a proud new owner of a 94 pathfinder 4X4 XE never had or drove a 4X4 in my life anbody have any suggestions as to what to look out for as far as preventive maintence, and fluid checks / types and frequency any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated Thanks please reply to allan_romans at nsdot sympatico dot ca

Reply to
recroom news

Hmm... Basic stuff remains the same, do the oil/filter every 3000 miles, belts at 30,000 miles, etc. Since the truck is new to you, I'd recommend having ALL the fluids changed (front/rear diffs, transfer case, transmission, coolant) so you're starting fresh. Also don't forget about the timing belt and tensioner. If you can't without one shadow of a doubt find out when it was replaced, do it now. Think about it this way, even if the mileage isn't that great, the belt could now be 10 years old.... and if it breaks, you will have damage.

To keep the tires wearing evenly, I strongly encourage you to have them rotated at every other oil change.

I have a 95 Pathfinder XE and I change the oil no later than 3,000 miles and ONLY use a genuine Nissan oil filter. *DO NOT* use anything other than a Nissan oil filter or you can set yourself up for problems (especially noise related). Antifreeze I use about a 60/40 mix of Prestone Antifreeze/water and change it every 2 summers.

Be sure to use only quality Nissan parts for your vehicle (especially as they relate to engine maintenance) and you'll never be sorry. I change my fuel filter about every 15,000 and the air filter and NGK spark plugs (don't use anything else and be sure to use anti-seize on those plug threads) every 30,000. Typically you'll see 90,000-100,000 out of your distributor cap/rotor and spark plug wires. That's why you should stick with Nissan parts, you'd never see that mileage out of most aftermarket parts. (And yes I'm one of those `nuts' who shells out the extra for premium fuel and won't buy from ABC/123 Mini-Mart Fueling. 92 grade or higher only for my baby.)

For the other fluids every 30,000 is a good time but sooner never hurt at all. Check your manual to be sure, but on my 95, the transfer case uses automatic transmission fluid. Also see if your diffs have an LSD oil required label on them (which I'm thinking the XE's don't, but it's better to check anyway). If they don't then you should be fine using the below listed fluid which is what is listed for my 95 in an updated bulletin from Nissan.

Here are the fluids I use in my 95:

Front/rear differential - Pennzoil Gearplus SAE 80W-90 GL-5 Gear Lubricant

Automatic transmission/transfer case - Nissanmatic D transmission fluid

Engine oil - Pennzoil 5W30

In regards to the Pennzoil gear oil, it is specifically named (and used from the factory) by Nissan for the above application.

Here's a link to the fluid itself:

and here's one showing that Nissan uses it in their Infinity line up as well:
load the page and do a search on it (control-F) for 4096 and itwill take you to the appropriate section. Enjoy your Pathfinder! I am mine. So far it's been three and a half years and almost 37,000 miles and I've never been unable to get home or to work due to a vehicle problem, she's ready every time I am. :-) Now to wait out the rain here in PA so I can get to work with the wax...

Wil

Reply to
Truck

Thanks Truck I appreciate the info and it all sounds like very sound advice to me Thanks

recroom news

Glad to help. :-)

Reply to
Truck

The only thing a disagree with is using anti-seize on NGK plugs..

Reply to
Steve T