93 maxima gxe...lull when trying to accelerate

Hi,

I've got a problem with my 93 max. It's got 153000 km (about 95k miles) and only owned it for only about 8 months. The car ran perfectly with no sign of problems until a few days ago. A few days ago it hesitated a couple of times when pulling away from a stop, then seemed fine again. The next day it started hisitating like crazy. It starts no problem and seems to idle OK...and when you get it up over 50 km/h (30 m/h) it seems fine, but trying to get up to that speed takes forever...it just lulls and hesitates as if it's not getting any gas.

I took it to a garage and they replaced the sparkplug wires, distributer cap and ignition coil...they charged a fortune for it too! When we picked up the car it seemed fine. We drove it for about 15 minutes, then parked for about 45 minutes and then took it out again. I made a right turn coming out of a parking lot and then problem seemed to happen again, but only for a moment. I took another right turn shortly after and tried to accelerate and it did it again...only this time it was as bad as before...I could barely accelerate for about 2 minutes...and then it suddenly it ran fine again. We took it straight back to the shop and we are still waiting to hear from them.

Does anyone have any ideas about what this might be? I'm worried that the garage will overcharge again, and possibly miss the real problem again. If it might be something not too complicated I'm willing to do the work myself to save some cash.

Thanks, David

Reply to
db

You'll need to wait until it acts up all the time. Intermittent problems are really hard and costly to track down.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Check to make sure your automatic transmission fluid is topped off. If the ATF fluid is low, the car doesn't have anything to transmit power to the wheels, especially if you're turning. This happened to me, and adding fluid fixed it.

It goes without saying, but check for a leak of ATF fluid, too.

Don't go back to the same garage!

Reply to
ZeeExSixAre

Problem resolved!!!

I went and got the car back from the garage right away before they did anything more that they could over-charge me for. I then went out and got a Haynes manual. It gave instructions for retreiving the fault codes from the onboard computer. It showed a fault code 33, which for that model year means 'O2 Sensor fault'. I bought a new O2 sensor and replaced it myself with very little effort and all is well again. I'm not sure why the ENGINE light never came on because the computer definitely registered the fault.

BTW, thanks for the tip about the AT fluid, although I knew the problem was engine related because it ran very harshly, (even in neutral or park) if any pressure at all was applied to the gas pedal...oddly, it always started fine and would idle perfectly as long as I didn't touch the gas pedal.

Anyhow, I'm so glad it's resolved.

Thanks, David

Reply to
db