Nissan

I have been floundering looking for a new car.

Toyota is struggling with a six speed automatic transmission that seems to be troublesome Honda is a shithorse to drive. Too stiff, hard over bumps. Volkswagen seems to cling to electrics issues, and dealership hostility.

Now, Nissan seems to only offer manual trannies OR suspiciously vulnerable CVT trannies.

American cars are out for now.

What do you all feel about Nissan, and the CVT tranny they offer??

Reply to
<HLS

"suspiciously vulnerable CVT"? This is the first I've heard of any vulnerabilities. Care to elaborate?

Reply to
E Meyer

AFAIK, the CVT has proven to be reliable.

Reply to
JimV

Look at the Murano, Nissan's 1st vehicle with a CVT. Great success, very reliable. What's it been, 4 years now? Also, looking at the bigger picture, Nissan was the 1st car company to mass produce a CVT mated to a very powerful and torquey V6. Powerful motors are a transmission's worst enemy.

Nissan CVT? No worries.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Many of the early designs from other manufacturers were, because of their complexity and construction, prone to problems and very expensive to repair or replace.

From this comes my suspicion of vulnerability, and I am please to find out that Nissan seems to have tamed the technology.

I am very disappointed with VW's ratings, as I know they are a company which could make improvements overnight IF they would do so.

The Toyota six speed is disquieting since they apparently had a bulletproof unit, and switched it out to something of questionable repute.

I know cars cant last forever, but I really want the best I can get for my buck.

Thanks all

Reply to
<HLS

I went to the NissanUSA website, and looked at Maxima and Altima. Maybe I was not diligent enough, but I believe your only choices are the CVY or the six speed manual.

Wife will not tolerate a manual, I am afraid.

I have been hearing some complaints about CVTs from other manufacturers, but -honestly- you mostly hear the complaints rather than the accolades.

Reply to
<HLS