Pathfinder - Charging System

Hi All,

When I started my 1990 Pathfinder SE this morning, there was no charging of the battery - voltage across battery was steady at 11.8 volts. Took it around the block and all of a sudden voltmeter pops up to 14+ volts. Continued driving for awhile and everything seemed ok. With headlights on and heater fan at full speed the alternator maintained 14 volts across the battery at idle. So...it looks like I have an intermittent problem that just might strand me somewhere - looking for advice.

Possibilities apparently are

  1. Dash charge light (burned out) but it worked fine when I got home
  2. Relay for said light
  3. Fusible link

Anyone had similar problems and able to steer me toward a likely candidate that would fail and then recover as I experienced?

Thanks,

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

Hi Frank

I wonder what made you check the battery this morning -- unless this truck has a built in voltmeter?

Make sure the belt is tight. Also make sure that the connection from the alternator to the battery is solid -- clean off both ends and make sure they are properly tightened. It could be that the alternator has an intermittent contact to maybe the diodes, but that is less likely. It happens, but not as often as having bad contacts through the wires.

Hope you find it soon Remco

Reply to
whybcuz

Sounds like the regulator might be going.

Reply to
ppointer

Thanks guys,

Think I'll replace the light check relay. Obviously the alternator and all connections must be pretty good since it held 14 volts at idle with headlights and heater fan on full blast once "something" popped yesterday. I'll go for the relay first, though might, indeed, be a regulator problem.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

It's highly unlikely the bulb "unburned out".

It's NOT the fusible link. If that went, NOTHING would work. Generally, the fusible link doesn't kill, is main power to the starter, but the start solinoid is controlled by the fusible link, so the starter won't work.

The advice to check the belts is good.

Could be a bad connection at the starter or regulator. I'd check those before replaced the regulator. Thake them apart, put them together again.

Carry jumper cables and keep and eye on things before you buy a regulator.

And you never told us what the original symptom was: GEN idiot light? On-board volt meter? Something else?

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

Original symptom was only 12 volts on the dash voltmeter immediately after starting the engine. GEN idiot light was ok. Drove around block and voltmeter popped up to 14 volts, and alternator was able to hold it there at idle with headlights on and heater fan on high. Started car the next day - exact same behavior. Fan belts are new (two months old) and tension is correct.

Replaced bulb check relay yesterday. Now everything is fine.

Thanks for your reply

Frank

Reply to
Raybender