Re: Automakers Lengthen Oil Change Intervals

> >Ed White wrote: >> > >> Conversely, in who's interest is it to have you change your oil >> frequently? Even vehicle manufacturer's get profits from oil changes >> when OE filters and oil are used. > >So you believe if the car manufacturer's were as smart as you are they >could be making more money selling oil changes than they do selling >cars. Ha Ha Ha good one. >

Most, if not all, new car dealers make more profit from their service operations then from sales. The more often you can get people into the shop the more services you can sell them. If you look at the "recommended service interval" posters on any dealers service area walls you will see recommendations that are for much shorter intervals then is called for in the owners manual for the vehicles they sell.

When the transmission when out on one car I had at 24,000 the dealer said he didn't think he could cover it under the warranty because I didn't change the transmission fluid at the recommended interval and pointed to the shop wall - 15,000 miles. When I took the owners manual out of the glove compartment and pointed to the maintenance schedule that said 30,000 he shut up.

>>If anything, vehicle manufacturers >> have the incentive to increase profits by specifying more frequent oil >> changes. > >Ha Ha Ha another good one. > > >> Very few new car buyers drive cars to the point that the >> engine fails. > >That is Correct. So the recommendations make sense for those new car >buyers who don't plan on keeping the car more than a few years. But >maybe some new car buyers would be keeping there cars a little longer if >they weren't getting those little tell tell tale signs that the engine >is little more worn than they would like it to be. > >>I have yet to sell or trade a vehicle with a bad engine. > >Oh so you are one of those who got rid of it it before it went bad? > > >-jim > >
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You'll also see recommendations for profit center services that are totally unnecessary. Click and Clack describe one such service as the "Bilstein R-2000 Wallet Flush System."

It's a mind game in the service department, where they want people to feel that if they don't ante up and pay for the "recommended services" or go for the shorter intervals, that they're somehow cheap bastards that just don't care about their vehicles.

If a service department ever tries to sell me the wallet flush, and one Toyota dealer's service department did, then I never go back to that place again, because it's clear that they can't be trusted.

Reply to
SMS