Re: Automakers Lengthen Oil Change Intervals

"ray" wrote in message news:tjFPh.8205$6m4.7006@pd7urf1no...

I try not to outsmart the engineers who designed my car, but I also > realize that the car companies want my engine to last a long time, > but not necessarily as long as I want it to last.

Engineers design engines to a spec. The test groups test them to meet that spec with some safety margin. Nobody publishes their internal design goals or their internal test requirements. I've heard (no facts, just speculation) that Ford tests engines to 175,000 miles. The engines are maintained per the written requirements, failures are not allowed, and the engines must perform within certain specs at the end of the test. Essentially this would mean the engine must run like new after 175,000 miles. I have no idea what this translates into in terms of Consumer life....I would suspect, it would be a very long time. For me engine life has never been a problem. If the rest of the vehicle was like new after 175,000 miles, then I might only replaces cars every 8 years instead of every 5 or so. I rarely get rid of vehicles because they are poorly (1 Toyota and 1 Plymouth were ditched for poor performance). I usually get rid of them because they look old, or because I just want something new. My Sister is the opposite. If it moves, she is happy. Her 10 year old Civic looks like crap (faded paint, interior plastic crumbling, paint actually falling off the bumpers, underhood looks like the inside of an oil can, etc), but it keeps moving. She occasionally says something about getting a new car, but then the Honda moves again. I predict she will procrastinate until it is either wrecked, or the clutch fails. Both are due (every vehicle she has owned has been traded immediately after either the transmission and/or clutch failed or it was wrecked).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I think every part on a car is designed to a spec, but the odds of getting ahold of those specs... notgonnahappen.com :)

I'm a bit more like your sister, but as I get older and have kids, I'm turning into you. I've owned 16 cars in the 18 years I've been driving. Most of them were old beaters purchased for under $400. I've had good cars and bad cars. The only street car I've owned that suffered major engine damage was my Fiero (timing gear.) I've blown up a lot of other parts and had a lost of cars rust into nothingness... but no other engine damage. What does that prove exactly? Nothing really....

If anything, I think it might help prove that transmission maintenance is more important than engine maintenance...

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Larry Carley is probably a fine fellow, but he is also a car care industry insider. And the article includes some factual errors. All current Toyotas specify 5000 mile oil changes. They don't include a severe service schedule (see

). Most current Ford specify 5000 mile oil changes (a few specify 7500 mile oil changes). Ford does provide a severe service schedule (3000 mile oil changes), but Mr. Carley's article overstates when it should be applied. The GM oil life indicators have different settings for car that come from the factory with synthetic oil. The owner's guides warn you that you can't use the oil life indicator if you use conventional oil in car than came from the factory with synthetic oil, but then they also tell you to use synthetic oil in those vehicles. GM vehicles that come from the factory with conventional oil (most GM vehicles) have oil life monitors that are set to provide the correct oil change interval for conventional oil. Current Honda have also gone to a variable "Maintenance Minder." Older Hondas had 7500 mile normal service intervals with a 3750 severe schedule. Honda says: "The "normal" schedule is fine for most drivers, even if they occasionally drive in severe conditions."

I love the link to the Valvoline study. Sort of like George Bush asking members of the RNC how he is doing.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The OP may have been talking about the fact Mobil 1 went from Group IV to Group III. It chastised Castrol for doing this in the late 1990s and now, reportedly, Mobil has followed suit (not sure about all grades).

Reply to
Anonymous