REALLY bad install -- not singing at all

I may have been mistaken about the 'singing' noise in my '93 Sentra. Simply rolling down the driver's side window has added a new dimension to the problem. Let me know what you think of this:

At low speed -- 20 miles per hour or less -- there is definitely a metallic "swashing" noise. By that, I mean it sounds like a steel brush scraping sheet metal with each turn of the wheel or axle. It's not always there, but when it is, it sounds like hell.

I thought I was lucky to get the axles replaced a week ago for $275 (my parts), but now I wonder if I should even go back to that mechanic to have him check out the noise. Originally he quoted $650 to replace axles (supplied), thermostat (supplied), and two rear wheel cylinders, change the fluids, and do... eh... something to the transmission (5-speed). Can't remember. Basically a 50,000 mile maintenance. Yes, it has only

52,000 miles on it.

I balked at the cost, but the axles were an emergency repair, so he charged $275 for labor to replace them and do an alignment. He also said the thermostat job required a "special tool," so he couldn't do that. I have not had the chance to even get under the car to see if something's wrapped around the axle.

Ratcheting noise from the failing CV joints wasn't as bad as the noises it has now. I.E., the Sentra he returned to me has more noises than the car I gave him. Do you suppose the 'special tool' he mentioned might be one used to screw a customer who can't/won't fork over $650 all at once?

I apologize if I sound meanly suspicious, but I can't believe that he could get this result on a job many amateurs do easily.

Reply to
DemoDisk

something's

Ahh, forget about my rant in the foregoing post. It's just that I really have had problems in the past with people unable to do what you're paying them for. This mechanic really seems like a good sort and fixed the problem easily, no complaints.

Reply to
DemoDisk

While he may be a good sort he was still CARELESS, and if you use him again he needs to be reminded of his carelessness.

-SP

DemoDisk wrote:

Reply to
speedy