Stcktion point on 2002 Sentra accelerator

The accelerator on my 2002 Sentra is hard to press from idle. Once you press hard enough to move the accelerator it is easy. But it is tough to start off slowly because you have to press so hard to get the accelerator to move. Strangely, once you are moving and take your foot off the accelerator, then reapply, the stiction point is gone. But once you stop, it is back when you try to go again.

I've sprayed teflon spray on the spring and parts at the accelerator itself, but that did not seem to help.

Has anybody else seen and solved this, or is it unique to my car?

Ray

Reply to
ray

Exact same thing on my '03 Frontier (3.3/SC)! My wife is getting tired of me jerking her head off. :)

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Woodell

Clean the inside of the throttle housing. Most likely has a bunch of crud inside binding up the throttle plate. Best way to clean it is to spray some cleaner on a rag and wipe out the gunk.

Reply to
Steve T

Verified. 2001 Sentra. Took an hour or so to fix. First, removed the rubber and plastic bits that connect to the throttle housing. It's a minor puzzle getting everything out of there, but not too hard. With some carb cleaner on cotton swabs, wiped out the points where the throttle plate rests against the throttle body. Repeated until it was clean. Reassembled everything. Problem solved.

Heed this -- Don't spray the carb or throttle body cleaner willy-nilly in there. Spray onto swabs or cloth, apply to the point of need only. Can damage things according to other posters.

-'Pete'

Reply to
Pete

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try it myself. My wife's Xterra is starting to do the same thing.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Woodell

Yep, spraying cleaner in there can do more damage than good, wash garbage into places it would normally never get etc.

Reply to
Steve T

Thanks everybody! The throttle blade seems to be it. I couldn't see any crude, so it must not take much crude. Especially thanks for the warning against just spraying cleaner on the area.

The accelerator cable has a lot of slack in it (like 1/8"). How much slack should it have?

Ray

ray wrote:

Reply to
ray

How much is at the pedal and does it get wide open throttle? You want a

-tiny- bit of slack at WOT so you are using the pedal for the throttle stop and not the throttle plate itself. If you use the thottle plate for the stop, you'll end up breaking the cable.

Reply to
Steve T