Clear coat on Landcruiser

Some of the clear coat is flaking on my 96 Landcruiser's rear quarter. The area is limited to about a 4x6". What is my best at fixing that? I'd really like to make it look acceptable without redoing the quarter or the whole truck for that matter. The paint looks fine - it's just the clear coat.

Can I lightly sand down the area to get rid of the flaking portions, mask the area and then spray clear coat? I've not dealt with clear coat before, so I don't know if it is generic, it has different finishes, etc.

Thank you in advance,

--George

Reply to
George

Take it by a bodyshop for an estimate and just act curious and ask how they would fix it. If you do it, be careful with any sanding, and don't think you can just spray it with CC out of a can. If you are sloppy, you will have to have the whole quarter re-done. Let us know what they say.

-PM

Reply to
Patrick Moore

If it's a metallic it'll be tough, because any sanding on the base coat will mess up the metal flake.

Reply to
chuck

A good body shop will use some rubbing or polishing compound to strip away about half of the clearcoat, then polish it back up. As long as the paint underneath is good, it can be restored.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

There is no clear coat where it has flaked off. You'd never want half of the clear coat removed when sanding or buffing.

Reply to
The Gunslinger

The paint is metalic grey - I can't remember what they called it. The paint is in great shape. The clear coat has just let go for whatever reason in that area.

My thought was to sand/buff or chemically strip the area and then spray clearcoat in several very light coats back on and then use polishing compound after the recommended drying period. I've never used clear coat, so I didn't know (and still don't) if that sounds reasonable.

--George

Reply to
George

Your better off lightly wet sanding the area of the flacking. Lightly. Then you'll need to lightly buff the area back to a perfect shine before your spray the clear on. After that you'll need to repeat the process after the clear is sprayed on.

You can't hurt it anymore then it is currently with clearcoat. Just becareful on the wet sand.

Reply to
The Gunslinger

Reply to
George