Tire noise

Can rubber in tire treads have "soft spots" that wear faster than adjacent rubber, thereby causing cupping? I replaced all four struts and tires

13K miles ago and now have cupping so severe that there is major road noise, which is significant because this 94 Sentra does not have the soundproofing that newer automobiles have.

Apparently, I am not the only one with tire noise; I periodically hear automobiles going down the street with that same kind of tire noise.

Reply to
nucleus

nucleus wrote the following:

When did you last have the wheels aligned?

Reply to
willshak

Can you explain how minor changes in caster and camber, might eliminate cupping?

Reply to
nucleus

nucleus wrote the following:

The caster and camber adjustments may not help, but they might know, or find out, what is causing the cupping. Probably better than we here could answer without having the car at hand.

Reply to
willshak

I've never had tyre cupping on my Nissan Pulsar (the Australian name for your Sentra). But I did have severe cupping on my other vehicle (a VW Transporter).

Right from new, it developed severe cupping and chunking on the nearside rear tyre only. The Transporter is also front-drive. Rotating the tyres saw the problem always reappear at that position.

That was 15 years ago. The vehicle is still in use, and I've had no problems since the original tyres (Kleber brand) were replaced. The vehicle has never had or needed a wheel alignment.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

nucleus wrote in news:9bcf0e72-6eba-4e38-9ace- snipped-for-privacy@t16g2000vba.googlegroups.com:

I know I'm late to respond, but just joined this ng.

I have a 1996 and 1997 Nissan Maxima, on which I installed Bridgestone Potenza Grid Line 019. After the first tire rotation, it sounded like I had wheel bearing noise. It was very, very noisy on both cars, immediately after rotation. I went back to the tire dealer (Wheel Works, Belmont, CA...never again...) and they told me the tires had been recalled for this reason. I got them prorated, and bought new tires for each car. Noise gone!

Reply to
Boris

Boris wrote in news:Xns9FBE95EECE4B0nospamnospaminvalid@46.4.102.18:

If you have these tires, here's just one link I found.

Boris