Wheel size question XTerra 2007

Newbie questions here: I was just looking over the NissanUSA website on the Xterra. Being new to this, I don't understand one item. The "Off Road" version comes with a 7x16" wheel The "SE" version comes with a 7.5x17" wheel.

Why didn't they put the 17" wheel on the off road version because of an extra 1/2" ground clearance it would seem to provide? Or is there some other factor at work here?

The specs show that the ground clearance for the SE is 9.1" and the Off Road is 9.5", which is just the opposite of what I would suspect it to be.

Another difference I see is that although the departure angles are the same at 29°, the approach angles are different with the SE at 32° and the Off Road at 33°.

Your explanations are appreciated.

Reply to
QX

Larger wheel size+lower profile tire=same overall diameter

Ride height and ground clearance are controlled by suspension. You wouldn't want low profile tires for offroading.

Reply to
DS

Thank you. I was mentally associating larger size wheel, with a the same or larger tire profile as the smaller wheel size had. I didn't compare the tire sizes between the two models.

Reply to
QX