X-trail "all mode 4x4"

Hi.

I've got a new 2004 model X-trail and I'm trying to understand how the 4x4 works. The book just says its "All Mode" but doesn't explain much else about it. In fact its even confusing.

It says in 2-wheel drive mode its on Front-wheel drive only, but if the sensors detect any slip it'll switch to 4x4 automatically when it needs to.

In Auto mode it says its on front-wheel drive, but if the sensors detect any slip it'll switch to 4x4 automatically when it needs to. (Question: how is this different to 2 wheel drive only mode?)

In "4-lock" it says all 4 wheels will drive unless it doesn't think it needs them in which case it will revert to front wheel drive.

I'm struggling to understand what this switch actually controls since the manual seems to imply the car will do whatever it wants to regardless of what i've set this switch to.

Also, is 4-lock a diff locked 4x4 or not? The manual says it engages a

53:47 front-to-back ratio, but doesn't say if its diff locked.

I've searched the internet andtried to get more details out of my local Nissan dealer, but no joy.

Does anyone know how this 4x4 actually operates?

Many thanks, Nige.

Reply to
Nige

It will do this but it will take longer than in the Auto Mode. You can get some front wheel spin in this mode as it takes a moment or two for the 4x4 drive to kick in.

This is different from 2WD as the system detects any slippage of the front wheels in a fraction of a second and switches to 4x4. This happens much faster than if you are in 2wd Mode, indeed its so fast that its damn near instantaneous.

It will do this when the car attains a speed that it thinks is more appropriate to road conditions. From memory I think its about 30mph, but I may be wrong.

I tend to have it in 2WD for A-roads and motorways, selecting Auto in the wet/snow on A-roads and all the time on B and C roads.

When off-road, Auto mode seems to cope with just about anything I've experienced.

My understanding is that the Lock mode is an electronic lock rather than physically locking the diffs. As a result its not the same as diff lock on a "proper" off-roader. If you leave it in Lock mode too long even when keeping the speed below that at which the car would try to revert to 2WD, the system is liable to overheat and "unlock" itself. As a result Lock mode should only be used in very difficult conditions when the Auto mode can't cope and you should revert to Auto mode when things improve.

You can find more info on

Also try
and

Big Ron

Ron, Cheers for the wise-up. Makes a bit more sense now.

Thanks

Reply to
Nige

Ron your info was very useful. I went a step further and spoke to Nissan after purchasing an 03 x-trail this week.

The 2WD mode is 100% front and as you say takes longer to kick in 4WD mode.

The AUTO mode give 3% to the rear as the default. This is how it knows very quickly what is going on. Hence the economy is a fraction poorer than

2WD. When needed the full 43% will be given to the rear at any speed.

The LOCK mode is 57% front to 47% rear. The reason for turning off at

30km/hr or on high trackion surfaces is to stop over heating. However if the car slips when above 30Km/hr it will give you the full 43% (same as auto mode).

There is only one thing am not happy about and that is the wait for my new car!

ISHY

Reply to
Ishy

Good info to know. Thanks for this.