Looking for directions to service front hubs (1994 4x4)

Hello everyone,

It has been determined that my front left hub is not engaging, so I'm not getting power to the front wheels in 4 wheel drive.

Quick check - since my front axle is not a limited-slip axle, does it make sense that as the front left hub isn't engaging (but the driveshaft is spinning), that the front RIGHT wheel would never get power (since the "wheel" with the least resistance is the one that will spin)? I tried shifting into 4 wheel drive in a muddy field and spinning the tires. Both back tires spin (I have a limited slip axle), but neither of the front tires spin. However, my mechanic advised me that the front right hub is fine.

I read a lot on the internet about problems with automatic hubs, and decided to try cleaning off the gobs of grease that were on both, then lubricating with transmission fluid. That did not change anything.

Upon inspection (I'm new to 4 wheeling, so forgive any lack of lingo), the actual hub part comes off easily on both sides, and everything spins inside it freely. On the axle, I can see that there are a series of gears, cams, and whatnot....when I tried shifting into 4WD while the truck was jacked up, it seemed that the front right gears/cams/etc. would "lock up" while the front left bits all continued to spin freely.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to service this (assuming I can figure out what needs to be serviced)? I know that most people will say "switch to manual hubs", but finances don't permit that at this time.

A local scrapyard has an Explorer with working 4 wheel drive, so I am hoping to get what I need from this parts truck.

The question is, how to go about taking things apart to figure out what is broken?? I have read that plastic cams can break their teeth....but everything I can see appears to be metal, and in good shape.

Are there any web resources with good photos and descriptions of how to take things apart? I may end up buying a service manual, but I'm hoping that some "real world" advice will assist the process.

Looking forward to your replies.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Here's a web site that shows how to replace the auto hubs with manual Warn hubs. At least it shows how to remove the auto hubs. Might help.

The Hayne's manual for Explorers (91-95) shows how to install the auto hubs in the routine maintainance section. My Explorer was doing the same thing yours is doing. It's difficult to determine if the front wheels are not engaged other that the fact that it won't go up hills etc. After I installed the Warn manual hubs it was easy to determine that all four wheels were being driven.

I don't know how to visually inspect the auto hubs to see if they are OK or not. Ford Service told me they needed to be replaced and that the front drive system was working other than the hubs but wanted $900. I knew they needed to be replaced. I put on the Warn hubs for a total of about $185 (including adapters) and I have no regrets (other than the fact that my wife drove it and got confused over the manual hubs and after disengaging them proceeded to drive for many miles with the parking brake on and toasted the brake shoes). The only thing the instructions seemed to lack was that you really don't need a wrench to remove the big nuts on the auto hubs and that you need the manual hub type wrench to install them. From the instructions I thought it was one or the other. I paid about $25 for the wrench but it would have been about $15 if Auto Zone had it in stock. Total cost about $200 vs $900.

I don't know how you can be sure if the auto hubs on the junker are OK. With the wheels jacked up mine seemed to be locking and yet they didn't work. Maybe someone else can tell you how to check them. You can check to make sure your front differential is engaging by pushing the 4X4 button and removing the servo motor and seeing if it is the the 4H position (clearly marked). The servo motors have a bad reputation too. I took mine apart and sprayed it with WD40 and it's great now. I could not see how to remove the single wire going to the case so I cut it and spliced and soldered and taped it and attached it to the wiring harness with cable ties when I was done.

From what you said it sounds like you may have 3 wheel drive but with the differential slipping I suppose that can amount to 2 wheel drive, just like you said.

Reply to
Ulysses

Here's an additional small amount of information on the auto hubs:

Ulysses