2k Altima rattles when cold

My 2k Altima rattles when cold but quits when it warms up. I checked the exhaust which seems a logical place to start but I cant find anything. Can anyone help me out? Thanks much in advance for any advice.

Reply to
Raudermike

Not sure as it could be many things, but my 1994 rattles until it gets up to temperature. I was told that it is the heat shield for the catalytic converter. A mechanic told me I could rip it off, but I am living with the rattle just in case I happen to park over something combustible. I would hate to lose my car because I removed the heat shield over a rattling noise.

Reply to
marc cooper

If it is just the heat shield you should have no problem removing it. The one on my 1995 altima was making noise and was removed about 6 years ago and there has been no problem since. I've parked it in long grass, over wood chip piles and any other number of burnable things and have had no problem.

Reply to
bucksatan