89 stumble/hesitation.

I bought this car a year ago and it has been working fine. Now it has developed a stumble or hesitation. It shows itself several ways.

At highway speeds the tach is not steady and floats +/- 100rpm around the target RPM. Occasionaly I will feel a bump like I hit somthing (but it's the engine stumbling). This afternoon I was traveling slow in heavy traffic and breaking a lot. When traffic started moving again the engine quit when I tried to accelerate. But it immietiatly restarted.

At low speeds the engine will die when pulling away from a stop if I give it too much gas. Or it will "chug" (not audibly) a few times. Mean while the tach is swinging wildly around +/- 500Rpm around the 1000rpm mark.

Check engine light is off. Have not had it checked for codes. Tomorrow I will check the plugs, change fuel and air filter, check for break fluid in the booster vacuume hose. Have it scanned for codes.

Anything else I should look for while I'm at it??

Thanks

Reply to
Gordon

Gordon wrote in news:Xns97BEE3E5CF25Dgreederxprtnet@199.45.49.11:

Actually its a 98.

Reply to
Gordon

check your basic items first: like spark plugs & wires, air filter, battery cables for corrosion, and wouldent hurt to clean the throttle body out with & only with "throttle body cleaner". not sure if you have still the old distributer cap&roter design on there but if it does its worth checking it. also good idea to change your "fuel filter". if that doesen"t help then take it to a shop/dealer you trust that subscribes to "all data" that way they can look up any TSB"s on your vehicle and have acces to wiring diagrams if needed. get scanned for codes? ;

-- johnin

View this thread:

Send from

johnin