A/C probelm 97 Altima GXE HELP!! IT'S HOT OUT!!

HELP!!!!!

I was in an accident a couple years ago, which required replacement of my condenser and lines. The body shop I took it to did the repairs. I ended up having to bring it back few times because one of the lines they installed kept leaking and according to them it was a faulty part, all three times. All subsequent fixes by them were done free of charge so I know they aren't ripping me off but it is obvious they should stick to body work. Any way, All is well now except that when I run the A/C on hot/humid days it only stays cold for 10 min or so. The compressor stays on instead of cycling on and off but on cooler less muggy days it seems to work better. When I turn the A/C off for a few minutes and turn it back on it is ice cold again and the compressor continues to cycle on and off as it should. Eventually the compressor will stay on again requiring me to turn it off and on again, but I have to wait a few minutes. What would cause this? Is there something I can look at myself before bringing it to another shop? I have taken it to a couple of places, one said I needed a re charge which makes no sense because it's cold when the compressor cycles properly, and the other said I need a new condenser which was just replaced. Is the compressor sending too much refrigerant to the evaporator which is causing it to freeze? What would cause this? too much refrigerant? Bad compressor? Bad drainage from the evaporator? I do not always see that puddle of water under the car like I should when the A/C has been on.

Any assistance would be helpful. And if you can recommend a shop in Nassau County NY let me know Thanks!

Mike

Reply to
news.optonline.net

It seems as if your system was left with moisture inside. Then when cooling, it freezes by the expansion valve and stops cooling. Since the shop was a body shop, i doubt they had the required vacuum pump.

If you are in south east florida, Ft Lauderdale area, I can help you.

Good luck!

news.> HELP!!!!!

Reply to
AS

I agree. Anytime the refrigerant system loses all of the freon , the source of the leaking should be located(in this case the condensor was replaced) the seals at all of the connections SHOULD be replaced and then a vacuum pump used to draw the system down to 30 bar and let stand to make sure there are not anymore leaks. This also evacualtes any moisture in the system. The dryer will probably have to be replaced in this case because it surely sounds like there is moisture in the system. It may cost a few bucks but the repairs are worth it if you desire a/c and who doesn't!!

Reply to
sumdumfuk