Torque converter slipping?

I noticed somthing today. While driving at highway speeds I slightly lifted my foot of the excelerator and saw a drop in engine RPM of about 1500 RPM. THe car didn't immiediatly slow down. I then decided to try somthing. I alternatly goosed the excelerator then let off(never completely flooring it or totally letting off) I could vary the engine speed by about 1500RPM, but the vehicle speed didn't immediatly respond.

This is a 97 Altima. Auto transmission. It this behaviour normal. (FWIW This is the first auto tranny I have driven in almost 18 years. All my other cars have been 5 speeds) Does this vehicle have a lockup torque converter? How do I check if it's working? Could there be a slip in some other part of the tranny?

Reply to
Gordon

I have a 93 Altima, same electronically controlled trannie your 97 has pretty much.

After about 5 minutes of highway driving from cold start, at 65MPH the rpms drop from 2500 to 2000. Torque converter lock up I assume.

As long as your RPMs are in the range mentioned above at 65, I wouldn't worry.

If they are higher, try getting the fluid changed. Otherwise, problems may be deeper.

Gord>I noticed somthing today. While driving at highway

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com