2001 Max Emission and Warranty Question

2001 Max 66k, use premium fuel only. When driving at 55 or higher and punch accelerator to pass, there is no increase in speed and the engine seems to bog down but RPM's will go up in the normal fashion. The check engine light is on showing a "PO 140" code: Oxygen Sensor 2 Bank One. If,in fact, it is the O2 sensor and my regular tech replaces it the reprogrammig of ECM still needs to be done I think. Someone in one of the nissan groups said that some situations involving emmisions are covered by a 8 year 80k warranty at dealer. Is this true? Will this job be covered if someone other than the dealer replaces the O2? Thank You.

Tony C.

Reply to
Tony Deb

Oxygen sensors are not covered under the emmission controll warrantee. They should be, but they are not.

Normally both banks sensors need to be replaced. Your looking at about a $600 job at the dealer.

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T>2001 Max 66k, use premium fuel only. When driving at 55 or higher and

Reply to
AZV14

Whoah.

O2 sensors for $600.00?

I bought one for $28.00 and had a mechanic put it in for $20.00 cash.

3 sensors shouldn't be $600.00.
Reply to
Richard Tomkins

sensors are 140 each, plus labor, plus any reprogramming they need to do to the ECU.

You might get the sensor for 120 bucks on the net,,,the car has 4 of then, 2 in each bank - they need to be replaced in pairs.

They are not easy to remove nor replace

"Richard Tomk>Whoah.

Reply to
AZV14

Looks like the unit I bought was a Universal, which is why it was so cheap. I apologize, I had never priced a Nissan O2 sensor before and didn't realize they made such huge profits on their parts.

I think I'll stick with the Universal part.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Hey no appologies needed,,,,

Nobody beleives how much these beasts cost to fix untill they have to have one fixed. No universal anything available for Nissan.

"Richard Tomk>Looks like the unit I bought was a Universal, which is why it was so cheap.

Reply to
AZV14