Sensor/Transmission question Accent 2001

I have a Hyundai Accent 2001 with the "check engine" light on, Yesterday I brought it to a local Garage for a oil change and to have the engine codes scanned.

Come to find out I need a Oxgyn and Transmission sensor, I also find out that the Transmission fluid is very dark.

The car has about 124,000 miles and the engine is great, this morning a mechanic I know said changing the tranny oil may just pose problems, I shoulld leave it as is and keep full?

I bought this car at 100,000 and have not changed the tranny fluid, so I am not sure what to think here.

The Garage wants 400.00 to put the sensors in and friend/mechanic said sometimes the the code readings can be off, it may be one sensor wreaking havoc?

I am just wondering what to do here?

Thanks

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Duggan

There's no way a transmission sensor issue would set an oxygen sensor code or vice versa. Of course, having fault codes for the signals from these sensors doesn't necessarily mean the sensors themselves are bad. For example, in many cases on the Accent, an oxygen sensor code may occur due to an exhaust leak or a problem in the ECM programming. On the other hand, a code for a transmission sensor is nearly always caused by the sensor itself. If you post the codes, I can give you the common problems to check for.

As for the transmission fluid, the recommended maintenance interval is

105,000 miles, so I'm not overly concerned that you'll create a problem. Also, being dark doesn't necessarily indicate the fluid needs to be changed, either. The SPIII fluid that's required for your transmission often turns dark rather quickly, a normal occurrence. As long as it's still somewhat transparent and doesn't smell burnt-- it'll often have a characteristic fruity odor-- there's nothing about the condition of the fluid that suggests it needs to be changed. If you do have the shop change the fluid (which may be necessary anyway, depending on which sensor they're replacing), make absolutely certain they use SPIII fluid. Using the incorrect fluid can damage the transmission.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

I went to Advance Auto Parts today this is the scan results:

Global ODBll

DTC ( Codes)

PO442 EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Small)

PO133 O2 Sensor CKT Slow response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P1529 Manf Cntrl Veh. Spd. Idle Speed Control Auxiliary Outputs

PO717 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor A Circuit No Signal

DTC Pending (Codes)

No Faults detected

----------------------

Thanks for your help,

Kevin

[...]

P0442: The good news-- this could be caused by an improperly sealed gas cap. Clear it and see if it comes back. The bad news-- if there's an actual problem, it's likely to require significant diagnosis by an experienced driveability technician, not just anybody with a scanner.

P0133: Usually caused by a leaking flex pipe. Check for leaks in the front exhaust pipe and manifold, especially in the flex pipe area, with the engine running. Even a small leak can cause this code to set. If you're able to rule out an exhaust leak, then go ahead and replace the front oxygen sensor.

P1529: Indicates TCM requested check engine lamp. See P0717.

P0717: Almost always the pulse generators (input/output speed sensor bundled together). Check the wiring on the sensors to be sure it hasn't been cut-- have seen this a few times. Otherwise, replace the pulse generators and verify good contact in the connector.

None of these faults indicates any sort of major problem. And although it may be a good idea to change your transmission fluid (don't know), that will have nothing to do with the P0717.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

In article , hyundaitech wrote: Thanks a million for your help; I saw the check engine light few weeks ago and from previous experience thought maybe the gas cap might be the problem. My gas cap was missing, I went to a parts store bought a new one and the light did not go off.

I decided to go to the garage were I usually have repairs done for a oil change plus a scan of these codes.

The mechanic after scanning said there were two problems:

Oxygen sensor and a transmission sensor, the transmission sensor from what I understood could only be accessed by removing the pan, is this what you see by these codes?

What does "TCM requested check engine lamp." mean?

Also is the pulse generators located in the transmission?

"replace the pulsegenerators and verify good contact in the connector."

Thanks

Kevin

experienced driveability technician,

front exhaust pipe and manifold,

the engine running. Even a small leak can cause this code to set.

you're able to rule out an exhaust leak, then go ahead and replace the front oxygen sensor.

bundled together).

been cut-- have seen this a few times.

generators and verify good contact in the connector.

may be a good idea to change your transmission fluid (don't know),

will have nothing to do with the P0717.

Reply to
Kevin Duggan

The pan does not need to be removed to access the transmission sensor (pulse generators). One bolts into the cover on the end of the transmission and the other bolts onto the top of the transmission. Negligible fluid will come out (several drops) when the sensor is removed from the end cover.

Your vehicle has one computer for the transmission (TCM) and another for the engine (ECM). When the TCM sees a problem it deems worthy of alert, it will send a signal to the ECM to turn on the check engine lamp. At that time, the lamp is turned on and the code P1529 is stored.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks,

What would be a good manual to get for this car, also is it difficult to change these thransmission sensors?

Again Thanks

Kevin

(pulse generators).

transmission and the other bolts onto the top

Negligible fluid will come out (several drops) when the sensor is removed

the engine (ECM). When the TCM sees a problem it deems worthy

it will send a signal to the ECM to turn on the check engine lamp.

that time, the lamp is turned on and the code P1529 is stored.

-- Message posted using

Kevin Duggan

You have free factory manuals available to you on the internet. Go to

and register for a free account.

The pulse generators aren't hard to change as long as you have the right tools (ratchet, long extension, 10mm socket (swivel preferred)).

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech